How do I know which courses to take for my program?

It is the responsibility of the student to review and understand their audit prior to registration. Audits can be run easily through the “MyAudit” feature of Carleton Central. By viewing their audit, students are able which degree requirements you have remaining in your program. Find assistance in reading your audit here.
The Carleton University Undergraduate Calendar also lists all program requirements.

How many courses should I take to be a full time student?

For degree students, 2.5 credits per term is a full course load. Full Time status, academically, is registration in a minimum of 1.5 credits per term, however the definition of full time can differ depending on your inquiry and the nature of the service office (e.g., tuition fees, OSAP, etc.)  Please ensure you check with the office in question to confirm (e.g., Business Office, Awards Office).

Courses that I would like to take are full. What now?

Carleton Central provides access to courses on a first come first serve basis, with priority given to students who meet all of the prerequisites for classes. The capacity of a course cannot be overridden. If a course is full students are encouraged to keep checking on Carleton Central to see if a space becomes available.

I am missing a prerequisite for a course I am required to take. What can I do?

To ensure the academic success of our students, it is imperative that students meet any prerequisites for courses they wish to take. In the event a student is missing a prerequisite however feels they reason to override that prerequisites (ie: if you have taken transfer credits at another institution) you may submit an Override Request through the Main Menu of Carleton Central.

I have submitted an override. How long will it take to find out if I have been accepted?

Override requests are addressed in the order that they are received with priority given to students meeting the department and course prerequisites. Override decisions are provided only via connect email, and permission will not be granted in person or over the phone. University wide, students can expect a 5–7 business day wait on all override requests.

A course does not appear in the correct place on my audit. What should I do?

Program changes, exchanges or transfers may alter how courses are sitting in the audit. If any course does not appear to be included in the location where you think it should be, email your advisor. Your advisor will review the audit and make any needed adjustments.

Does BCOMS have a General program?

Yes. Students must be accepted into the BCOMS Honours program first. Moving to the BCOMS General program can be complete online through the Change of Program Request on Carleton Central:

Still not sure? Visit our Help for Current Students page to make an advising appointment or find additional help around campus.