Students seeking to enter Canada are advised that new travel and entry requirements have recently been announced by the Government of Canada.
New Travel Information for International Arrivals
- Please be advised that as of January 7th 2021 all international air travellers will be required to demonstrate a negative test result for COVID-19 prior to boarding their flights.
- Within 72 hours of scheduled departure, travellers are required to complete a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) test. Travellers must then provide documentation of a negative laboratory test result to the airline prior to boarding their flight to Canada. Failure to do so will result in an automatic denial of boarding by the airline operating the flight to Canada.
- Travellers should expect enhanced public health screening measures at the Port of Entry.
Planning for your Future Arrival in Canada
- It is recommended that students and their co-arriving family members research where they can obtain a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) test in their current location (note – rapid COVID test results will not be accepted)
- Travellers should ensure that they have downloaded the ArriveCAN app and uploaded their quarantine plan and travel details within 48 hours of their planned departure
- Travellers with questions about any impact to their flight are encouraged to consult with their airline in advance of their scheduled departure
- Students and their co-arriving family members should ensure that they continue to meet all other entry requirements to Canada. A final decision on entry to Canada will be made at the Port of Entry by a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Officer.
Kindly note that the new entry requirements do not replace the mandatory 14-day quarantine requirement. Please consult with the ISSO’s Quarantine Planning and Support website for additional information and resources to help prepare for your travel to Canada. Students are reminded to not travel if they are feeling unwell and experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
Should you need to revise your travel plans as a result of this new entry requirement, please notify us as soon as possible by submitting a new Pre-Arrival Form (including your updated travel itinerary and any changes to your quarantine plan).
Please do not hesitate to contact the ISSO at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions that you may have.