Professor Emeritus (Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies)
|Degrees:||B.A. (McGill), M.A. (Columbia), Ph.D. (Montreal)|
- academic and workplace discourse
- situated learning and distributed cognition
- varieties of literacy practices (and implicit cognitive processes)
- acquisition and development of writing abilities
- social and cultural construction of genre.
Rhetorical Genres Studies and Beyond. Edited with Natasha Artemeva. Winnipeg, MA, Canada: Inkshed Publications, 2006.
Worlds Apart: Acting and Writing in Academic and Workplace Genres . Mawah NJ; Lawrence Erlbaum, 1999. (with Patrick Dias, Peter Medway, Anthony Pare.)
Learning and Teaching Genre. Edited with Peter Medway. Portsmouth NH: Boynton/Cook HEINEMANN, 1994.
Genre in the New Rhetoric. Edited with Peter Medway. London: Taylor & Francis, 1995.
Reinventing the Rhetorical Tradition. Edited with Ian Pringle. Akron, Ohio: L&S Books, 1980, 197 pp.
Learning to Write: First Language/Second Language . Edited with Ian Pringle and Janice Yalden. London: Longman, 1983, 295 pp.
- 3M National Teaching Award, 1997.
- Research Achievement Award, 1991-92
- Teaching and Learning Fellowship, Carleton, 1995-1998.
- Visiting Scholar to Hebrew University, Israel; Monash University, Australia