|Degrees:||M.A. (Carleton), CTESL (Carleton), Ph.D. (Concordia)|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 6634|
|Office:||256 Paterson Hall|
Retired and not available for graduate supervision.
- Applied Linguistics / Second and Foreign Language Acquisition: From theories to pedagogy
- Cross-cultural communication, both generally and for specific purposes
- Current research:
1) Cross-cultural collaboration between ESL and native English speakers
2) Survey of the changing beliefs of two introductory level foreign language students
- English for Academic and Specific Purposes (all levels).
- Transitions from Academic to workplace contexts, specifically for ESL engineering students: Doctoral Thesis = The Acceptability of Technical Writing by Second Language Engineering Students: Acculturating to a Profession (2000).
- Engineering communication and technical writing.
- Cross-cultural communication, both generally and for specific purposes.
- Other Languages for Specific Purposes syllabi and curriculum planning.
- Numerous workshops, presentations and professional consulting on ESP/Thematic syllabus design, and second and foreign language pedagogy.
- Materials development for ESL / ESP.
Current course information for this faculty member can be found by searching the Carleton Central/Public Schedule by Term and Name.
Courses previously taught
- ALDS 1001: Introduction to Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies
- ALDS 1002: (in the former Arts One) Introduction to Applied Language Studies
- ALDS 2201: Analysis of Oral Language Use
- ALDS 2203: Linguistic Theory & Second Language Learning
- ALDS 3803: Methods & Practice in Language Pedagogy
- ALDS 3903: Topic in Applied Linguistics & Discourse Studies: Theories of Cross-cultural Communication
- ALDS 5905: Special Topics in ALDS
- ESLA 1300: Introductory level
- ESLA 1500: Intermediate level
- ESLA 1900: Advanced level
- ESLA 1905: Advanced level for Engineering Students
O’Brien, T. (2019) Bringing cross-cultural communication analysis into foreign language classrooms. In P. Romanowski and E. Bandura (Eds.), Intercultural Foreign Language Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Contexts (pp. 71-98). Hershey PA: IGI Global.
- 1988 Scholarly Achievement Award, Carleton University
- 1990 Scholarly Achievement Award, Carleton University
- TESL Canada
- TESL Ottawa/Ontario
- TESOL International