Terms of Reference
Type of Committee: Standing Committee
Purpose: The Senate Graduate Student Appeal Committee (GSAC) is authorized to
make a final decision in all cases of appeals by graduate students against decisions of
the Dean on regulations in the graduate calendar.
• To examine appeals from graduate students against decisions of the Dean in
respect of academic petitions based on:
- The misapplication of an academic regulation contained in the graduate calendar;
- The inappropriateness of the application of a regulation contained in the
graduate calendar in the particular circumstances of the student.
• To consider appeals from graduate students, on compassionate grounds, for
relief from the consequences of the application of a regulation in the graduate
• Five faculty members broadly representative of the five line-faculties, one to
serve as chair;
• One graduate student;
• A member of the graduate studies registrar’s office (secretary) (non-voting).
Quorum and voting:
Quorum and voting are by simple majority.
The committee reports to Senate.
These terms of reference will be reviewed every seven years, or as needed.
Document Origin Date: March 30, 2007
Review/Revised: October 21, 2022