Terms of Reference
The Senate Executive Committee prepares and organizes the business of Senate and acts on other matters as delegated by Senate.
The Senate Executive Committee’s duties are to:
- Arrange the agenda and plan the forthcoming business of Senate;
- Nominate the Clerk of Senate for appointment by the Senate;
- To act, on behalf of Senate, in approving honorary degree recipients in special-case situations.
- Make decisions on such matters as the Senate may delegate to it;
- Recommend Special Appointments to Senate.
In addition, Senate may empower the Executive to act for Senate on urgent items of regular business between regular meetings of Senate. Any actions under this authority are reported to Senate at its next meeting.
- The President and Vice-Chancellor (as Chair) (ex officio);
- The Provost and Vice-President (Academic) (ex officio);
- Associate Vice-President (Academic) (as resource)
- The Clerk of Senate (ex officio);
- Three members of faculty, elected from and by Senate; and
- Two students (one undergraduate and one graduate), elected from and by Senate.
The term of a member of Senate Executive is coterminous with her or his term on Senate.
Quorum and Voting
Quorum is 50% of the membership, with at least one elected faculty member present.
Voting shall be by simple majority.
The committee reports to Senate.
These terms of reference will be reviewed every seven years.