CDF Workshop: Designing Learning Experiences from Scratch
October 19, 2021 at 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Facilitator: Maristela Petrovic-Dzerdz (EDC)
When we begin designing a learning experience, sometimes we are uncertain how to start and the task quickly appears to be a more complex challenge than we anticipated.
In this first Course Design Fundamentals workshop, we will introduce you to a teaching framework and pedagogical strategies aimed at helping you begin designing a learning module from scratch. We will promote the purposeful design approach that considers learning to be a complex journey without losing sight of the interrelationships between the required elements (van Merrienboer and Kirschner, 2017).
This workshop is fully online, and consists of three parts:
- Part 1 (18 minutes): Watch this video where we introduce the concepts. It will also give you an idea of what the workshop is about so that you can decide if you would like to sign up for it!
- Parts 2 & 3 (120 minutes): Online webinar-style session. In Part 2 (60 minutes), you will collaborate in small groups to design a small learning module and develop concepts introduced in Part 1. In Part 3 (60 minutes), each group will present their module design, and join a discussion.
At the end of this session, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of alignment among learning outcomes, assessments, grading instruments and learning activities
- Write simple examples of learning prerequisites, learning outcomes, teaching and learning strategies and simple rubrics
- Begin designing student-centered learning experiences
This workshop is part of Course Design Fundamentals, offered by TLS. Participants who complete five workshops and a guided reflection of the experience will receive a letter of completion to include in their teaching dossier. To enrol in the CDF program, please complete this form and register for the workshops here.
Space is limited. Please register in advance by filling out the form below.