The Experiential Learning Hub’s (ELH) Experience Studios are technology-enhanced spaces designed to facilitate education through headset-based Extended Reality (XR) experiences. Located on the 6th floor of Southam Hall in rooms 615 and 617, the studios provide students and instructors with access to headsets and workstations for exploring experiences or for testing their own projects.
The Experience Studios are accessible and adaptable spaces. They can be set up to support a single full room wireless VR experience or up to 12 experiences on a smaller scale in 7ft x 7ft zones. The studios feature 12 PC-powered HTC Vive Pro 2 workstations and a variety of standalone headsets, including the Quest 2 and Quest Pro. Each workstation is outfitted with a variety of specialized software for supporting XR experiences, a whiteboard, and a 55-inch monitor for casting.
The Experience Suites contain a variety of equipment, including:
- Headsets: Both standalone and PCVR headsets are available, including the HTC Vive Pro 2, Meta Quest 2, Meta Quest Pro, Oculus Rift, and Playstation VR2.
- PC Workstations: Windows-based workstations have a variety of software installed on them, including Blender, EON-XR, Steam, Unity, and Unreal Engine.
- Noise-cancelling Headphones: Most headsets support off-ear sound. For a fully immersive audio experience you may request a set of noise-cancelling headphones.
- Experiences: A variety of experiences are available for custom loading onto headsets.
- Whiteboards: Each workstation is paired with a dedicated whiteboard.
- Monitors: Each workstation has a dedicated 55-inch television and monitor which may support casting from a headset for sharing an experience with an audience.
- 360-degree Swivel Chairs: Users will be able to have a seated experience that supports full 360-degree turning.
- Portable Equipment: By request, clients can request access to additional portable equipment including a hybrid flight/driving simulation rig, Microsoft or Playstation wireless controllers, a Playstation 5-disc edition, etc.
Please request a consultation prior to booking the Experience Studio to discuss your educational needs or project goals. Most experiences and some equipment require custom set up. Staff will need time to complete the installation before your visit.
The Experience Studios are bookable and may be reserved by course instructors and students looking for space to try a headset experience or test a project.
Interested in booking the Experience Studios or want to learn more about them? Please fill out the Experience Studios Request form. We do not currently accommodate unscheduled drop-ins.
Main Location: 623 Southam Hall
Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday
Book a consultation with the Experiential Learning Hub via the TLS Support Portal.