- Getting Started with H5P
- Create New H5P Content
- Create new H5P content in Brightspace
- Edit H5P Content
H5P is an interactive content tool that can be added to any D2L Brightspace course. H5P can be used to make interactive, engaging content experiences that increase active learning. Interactive content is powerful for creating formative assessments and feedback opportunities. H5P can also be used to add variety to the presentation of your content or to embed quizzes alongside multimedia content, for example.
|WARNING: H5P is an excellent tool for interactive learning and informal, ungraded assessments. H5P should not, however, be used for formally graded assessment or summative assessments. Some tech-savvy students may be able to access the answers to H5P questions.
If you have any questions about using H5P in your assessment plans, please reach out to tlssupport.carleton.ca.
For additional information, visit the following H5P resources:
- Gallery of H5P Content Types
- H5P Content Type Accessibility
- Request TLS Support for H5P
- eCampus Ontario H5P Studio: Catalogue of H5P Content
To get started with H5P in Brightspace, you will first need to access the H5P tool in your course. You can access H5P in Brightspace via the Insert Stuff button in any HTML editor or you can add H5P content to a course module. Once you have accessed H5P in Brightspace, you will be able to log in to carleton.h5p.com using your MyCarleton1 email address. Your H5P account syncs with Brightspace so that you can create and manage your content from within your course or via carleton.h5p.com.
|Where can I add H5P content in my Brightspace course?
H5P content can be added to any page in a Brightspace course where the HTML editor is available. Some of the places you can add H5P interactive content include, announcements, module descriptions, and pages in your course. You can add H5P content using the insert stuff button
Example of an HTML editor in Brightspace:
- Go to carleton.h5p.com
- Enter your Carleton cunet email address. For example, email@example.com.
- Click Next.
- When you log in for the first time, click Send me a password link.
- H5P.com will send a link to set your password to your Carleton MC1 email address. Click on the Set Password link and enter your password. If you encounter issues signing in, contact the TLS Support Portal.
There are two ways to create new H5P content:
- Create new content via carleton.h5p.com (recommended) – carleton.h5p.com allows you to create your interactive H5P activities from a single dashboard where you can organize and manage your content. We recommend creating your content via carleton.h5p.com before integrating H5P activities into your course. Content that is created via carleton.h5p.com automatically syncs with Brightspace, allowing you to seamlessly integrate H5P activities into your course.
- Create new content in Brightspace – H5P content can be created directly within Brightspace. H5P integrates with Brightspace as an external learning tool that can be added to course modules or HTML editors.
Insert H5P content into Brightspace
Once H5P content has been created on carleton.h5p.com, it can be added to Brightspace so that students have access to it.
H5P content can be added to a Brightspace course in the following ways:
- Add H5P activities to a module or sub-module – Add an H5P activity as a topic item link in a module or sub-module in your course.
- Add H5P activities to an HTML Editor – Add content via the Insert Stuff button to to insert H5P activities into any HTML Editor in your course. The HTML Editor is available when you edit discussion topics, create descriptions for assignments, create content topics, or create webpages.
|Add an H5P activity as a topic item in a module or sub-module in your course.
|Add content via the Insert Stuff button to to insert H5P activities into any HTML Editor in your course. The HTML Editor is available when you edit discussion topics, create custom instructions for assignment folders, create content topics, or create webpages.
There are two ways to edit H5P content:
|There is a 3-step process involved in deleting an H5P activity and its corresponding grade column from Brightspace.
Step 1: Delete the H5P Activity from the Module/Sub-module:
Step 2: Delete the H5P activity from External Learning Tools:
Step 3: Delete the H5P activity from Grades:
The H5P activity and associated grade item have been deleted from Brightspace.
- Log in to Brightspace with your MyCarletonOne credentials.
- On the Brightspace homepage, locate your course in one of the following ways:
- Click on the course tile under the My Courses widget.
- In the navbar, click Content.
- Under Table of Contents in the sidebar, click on the module or submodule where you would like the H5P integration to be located.
- Click Upload/Create.
- In the drop-down menu, select Create a file.
- Enter a title for your content.
- In the html editor, click the insert stuff button
- In the Insert Stuff window, select H5P.
- Click Add Content.
- Select the Interactive Video content type.
- Under Add a Video, You can upload a file from your computer or paste a URL to a YouTube video or a supported video file. Click the plus sign + to select a file from your computer,
- You have the option to add interactions. under the Add Interactions tab.
- Click Save and Insert. You will now see a preview of your video content.
- Click Insert.
- Your video will now appear in the HTML editor. Click Save and Close.
Was this page helpful?
16 people found this useful