- Log in to Brightspace using your MyCarletonOne credentials.
- On the Brightspace homepage, locate your course in one of the following ways:
- Click on the course tile under the My Courses widget.
- Click the Course Selector Grid and select the course from the drop-down menu. If you are enrolled in more than 20 courses, you can search for the course name using the search bar.
- In the navbar, click Content.
|NOTE: You can also access the assignment tool through the Tools menu. When you create an assignment via Tools, students will only be able to access the assignment through the Tools menu in your course navbar. The assignment will not be visible in the content area of your course page unless you add it to a module/submodule using the existing activities menu.
- In the left sidebar under Table of Contents, click on the module/week section where you’d like to add the assignment (Week 1 is an example of a module in the image below). Alternatively, you can scroll down the Table of Contents page to locate the module/sub-module you want to add an assignment to. For instructions on how to add a new module or sub-module to your course, see the Adding Modules and Sub-modules page.
- Click the Upload/Create button.
- In the drop-down menu, select New Assignment.
- You will be taken to the New Assignment page where you can customize your assignment settings.
- Enter a Name for the assignment.
- Click Ungraded to expand the grading settings.
- Enter a grade value in the points field.
- An In Grades drop-down menu will appear where you can select Choose from Grades to add an item to the course gradebook. In the Choose from grades pop-up window, you have the following options:
- In Gradebook will be selected by default, meaning a new assignment grade item will be added to your gradebook. If you have set up categories in the gradebook, you will be able to select it from the Grade Category dropdown menu.
- Edit or link to Existing allows you to link your assignment to a grade item you have already added to your gradebook. If you have already created a grade item for your assignment, you can select it from the drop-down menu.
- Not in Gradebook – Choose this option if you do not want your assignment to appear in the gradebook.
- Reset to Ungraded – If you do not want to create a graded assignment, you can reset to ungraded using this option.
- Enter a Due Date for the assignment. This date will automatically be added to your course Calendar.
- Add assignment instructions (optional). In the HTML Editor, you can format or attach/embed files or media to your assignment instructions using the insert stuff , insert quicklink , and insert image buttons.
- To add attachments, click the icons below to add File Uploads (attachments).
|TIP: You can hover your cursor over the attachment icons to view what each option attaches.
- Record audio or video, if needed.
- On the right side of the page, you can click the arrows to expand the Availability Dates & Conditions, Submission & Completion or Evaluation & Feedback settings. Click on the links below for more information on the settings options for each section.
- Availability Dates and Conditions – This section includes Start and End Dates, Release Conditions, and Special Access.
- Submission & Completion – This section includes settings for the assignment type (individual or groups) and file submission type (file, text, on paper, observed in person). You can also customize how many files are allowed per submission and restrict file extensions for submissions.
- Evaluation & Feedback – This section includes options for adding rubrics and learning objectives. You can also enable/disable annotation tools and anonymous marking.
- Click the Visibility toggle to make the assignment visible, otherwise it will remain hidden from students. The toggle will appear greyed out with a crossed out eye icon when hidden, and blue with an open eye icon when visible
- Click Save and Close. You will be taken back to the Assignments page.