Below you’ll find some general information about the offices involved in TA training, as well as some frequently asked questions we receive about teaching assistant duties, training and support.
Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (FGPA)
- Offers TA scholarship to graduate students
- Allocates number of teaching assistants to each department
- Oversees paid training hours (through the TA Management System in Carleton Central)
- Collaborates with offices & departments on campus to offer information sessions and workshops
Teaching and Learning Services (TLS)
- Responsible for training and support for teaching assistants
- Majority of training opportunities count towards paid training, but TLS is not officially associated with paid training hours
- Collaborates with faculty, staff and teaching assistants to offer workshops
- Communicates information to teaching assistants via the Brightspace TA Training Hub, the @CarletonUTAs Twitter account and the What’s New webpage.
Campus Student Service Offices
- Frequently involved in information sessions and workshops
- Participating offices include Co-Op and Career Services, Equity Services, the Centre for Indigenous Initiatives, Health and Counselling, Learning Support Services, Paul Menton Centre and Student Affairs
- Responsible for protecting the rights of teaching assistants according to the collective agreement
- Not currently involved in creating or facilitating TA training opportunities
“Paid training” hours refers to a clause (article 14) in the CUPE 4600 collective agreement (2016-2019) for teaching assistants.