- What is HyFlex?
- Getting Started with HyFlex
- HyFlex Learning Spaces at Carleton
- HyFlex Resources
What is HyFlex?
The Hybrid/Flexible (HyFlex) modality is a mode of teaching meant to facilitate student learning whether they are present in-person or joining remotely. HyFlex rooms are designed with additional equipment to allow the instructor to run a class to the students in the room, and to either live-stream the class to students joining via Zoom, or to record the lectures and make them available online asynchronously.
A HyFlex approach supports student-to-student and student-instructor interactions and participatory teaching approaches. The simultaneous offering of the course on campus and via Zoom is intended to provide students flexibility, and to allow instructors a method to teach students who may not be able to attend courses on campus. To ensure the ability to teach effectively in this modality, HyFlex classes should be limited to between 40 and 50 participants.
For more information on HyFlex recommended practices please visit the HyFlex Recommended Teaching Practices page.
Note that a HyFlex model is not an acceptable model to increase enrollments in courses – rather every student registered in the section must have the option to attend the course on campus.
Getting Started with HyFlex
There are several resources and supports available to help you get started with the HyFlex modality:
- HyFlex Classrooms General Set Up Guide
- Share the HyFlex Student Guide with your class
- Review the Recommended Practices for HyFlex Teaching and Learning
- Book a room orientation to familiarize yourself with the HyFlex space and technology
- Reach out to TLS for one-on-one consultations to work through your individual challenges and questions
- Sign up for on-campus recording to record lectures or other content in one of our classroom studios
- Register for one of the introductory workshops, or watch a past session recording for HyFlex to see these rooms in action
HyFlex Learning Spaces at Carleton
This is a list of all the Hyflex Learning Spaces at Carleton as well as each room’s capacity. Click on a room name to be taken to the individual room’s page. To search all learning spaces at Carleton, please visit the Room Search page.
CB3101 58 persons
CB2104 51 persons
LAA204 19 persons
LAB249 19 persons
LAB243 30 persons
TB431 51 persons
UC374 16 persons
NI1020 54 persons
NI3038 28 persons
NI3040 50 persons
NI4038 28 persons
NI4040 50 persons
NI4050 56 persons
NI5010 54 persons
PA201 58 persons
For a complete list of FAQs please visit the HyFlex FAQ page.
If you have any questions about the HyFlex teaching model or HyFlex classrooms, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.