|Office:||A500A Loeb Building|
Dr. McIntyre’s research centers on developing a fuller understanding of the mechanisms of neuroplasticity as reflected in both epilepsy and learning/memory. The experiments are broadly based in electrophysiology, anatomy and behaviour. The electrophysiological work is often accomplished in whole animals and makes extensive use of the kindling model of epilepsy. Additional electrophysiological studies are conducted using in vitro slice preparations of various temporal areas. Most particularly the work concentrates on the perirhinal cortex and its relationships both anatomically and functional with other limbic structures, most notably the piriform and entorhinal cortices, the amygdala and hippocampus. In this work, the perirhinal cortex is showing itself to be important in both convulsive seizure development and several forms of learning. Research is supported by the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada and the Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR).
- Runke D, McIntyre DC, St-Onge V, Gilby KL (2011) Relation between startle reactivity and sucrose avidity in two rat strains bred for differential seizure susceptibility. Experimental Neurology (in press)
- McIntyre DC and Gilby KL (2011) Comorbid features associated with seizure-proneness or –resistance based on amygdale kindling.Epilepsia. (in press).
- Azarbar A, McIntyre DC, Gilby KL (2010) Caloric restriction alters seizure disposition and behavioral profiles in seizure-prone (Fast) versus seizure-resistant (Slow) rats.Behavioral Neurosci. 124(1):106-114.
- McIntyre DC and Gilby KL (2009) Kindling as a model of human epilepsy.Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences. Suppl 2:S33-5
- Gilby KL, Jans J, McIntyre DC (2009) Chronic omega-3 supplementation in seizure-prone versus seizure-resistant rat strains: A cautionary tale.Neurosci. 163(3):750-758.
- Gilby KL, Sydserff S, Patey A, Thorne V, St-Onge V, Jans J, McIntyre DC (2008) Postnatal epigenetic influences on seizure susceptibility in seizure-prone versus seizure resistant rats.Behav Neurosci. 123(2): 337-46.
- McIntyre, D.C., Gilby, K.L. (2008) Kindling as a model of human epilepsy.Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences.
- Funchal, C. Aguire, G., Vallés, A.S., McIntyre, D.C. (2008) Past, present and future of epilepsy.Ciencia em Movimento .
- Runke, D and McIntyre, D.C. (2008) Assessment of anxiety-like behaviors in female rats bred for differences in kindling susceptibility and amygdala excitability. Brain Research. 1240:143-52.
- McIntyre, D.C.. Gilby, K.L. (2008) Mapping seizure pathways in the temporal lobe.Epilepsia, 49 Suppl 3:23-30. Review.
- McIntyre, D.C., Gilby, K.L. (2007) Comorbid features associated with seizure-proneness or -resistance based on amygdala kindling.Epilepsia, 48 Suppl 9:30-42. Review.
- Carington, C.A., Gilby, KL., McIntyre, D.C. (2007) Effect of focal low-frequency stimulation on amygdala-kindled afterdischarge thresholds and seizure profiles in Fast and Slow kindling rat strains. Epilepsia48(8):1604-13.
- Gilby, K.L., Crino, P., McIntyre, D.C. (2007) Neurodevelopment in seizure-prone and seizure-resistant rat strains: Recognizing conflicts in management.Epilepsia 48: Supplement 5, 1-5.
- Schwabe, K, McIntyre, DC., Poulter, MO. (2007) The neurosteroid THDOC differentially affects spatial behavior and anesthesia in Slow and Fast kindling rat strains. Behavioral Brain Research 178: 283-292.
- Gilby, K.L., Thorne, V., Patey, A., McIntyre, D.C. (2007) Confluence of genetic and maternal factors in determining behavioral phenotypes in rats selectively bred for Fast and Slow kindled seizures.Behavioral Neuroscience 121: 370-379.
- Flynn, C., Brown, C.E., McIntyre, D.C., Teskey, G.C., Dyck, R.H. (2007) Zincergic innervation of the forebrain distinguishes epilepsy-prone from epilepsy-resistant rat strains.Neuroscience 144: 1409-1414.
- Shi, L-H, Luo, F., Woodward, D. McIntyre, D., Chang, J. (2007) Temporal sequence of ictal discharges propagation in the corticolimbic basal ganglia system during amygdala kindled seizures in freely moving rats.Epilepsy Research 73: 85-97.
- Shin, R.S., and McIntyre D.C. (2007) Differential noradrenergic influence on seizure expression in genetically fast and slow kindling rat strains during massed trial stimulation of the amygdala. Neuropharmacology 52: 321-332.
- Dedeurwaerdere, S., Gilby, K.L Vonck, K., Delbeke, J., Boon, P., McIntyre, D.C. (2006) Vagus nerve stimulation does not cause memory deficits in Fast rats but decreases kindled seizure expression without prophylactic effects on epileptogenesis.Neuroscience 140: 1443-1451.
- Reinhart, C.J., Metz, G. A. S., Pellis, S. M., McIntyre, D.C. (2006) Play fighting between kindling-prone (FAST) and kindling-resistant (SLOW) rats.Journal of Comparative Psychology 120: 19-30.
- Gilby K.L., Goncalves da Silva A. and McIntyre D.C. (2005) Differential GABAAsubunit expression following status epilepticus in seizure-prone and seizure-resistant rats: A putative mechanism for refractory behavior. Epilepsia 46: 3-9.
- Gilby, K.L., Kelly, M.E., McIntyre, D.C and Robertson,H.A. (2005) Neuroprotection and neurorescue by clomethiazole following hypoxic-ischemic injury: A functional evaluation using afterdischarge thresholds and kindling.Neuroscience 131:785-92.
- Schwabe, K., Gravrilovici, C., McIntyre, D.C.and Poulter, M.O. (2005)Neurosteroids exhibit differential effects on mIPSCs recorded from normal and seizure prone rats.Journal of Neurophysiology 94: 2171-2181.
- Schwabe, K., Gravrilovici, C., McIntyre, D.C. and Poulter, M.O. (2005) Differential neurosteroid activity on GABAA receptors in seizure-prone and seizure-resistant rats. Journal of Neurophysiology (in press)
- Reinhart, C.J., McIntyre, D.C., Metz, G. A. S., Pellis, S. M. (2005) Play fighting in kindling-prone (FAST) and kindling-resistant (SLOW) rats. Journal of Comparative Psychology (in press)
- Gilby K.L., Goncalves da Silva A. and McIntyre D.C. (2005) Differential GABAA subunit expression following status epilepticus in seizure-prone and seizure-resistant rats: A putative mechanism for refractory behavior. Epilepsia (in press)
- Gilby, K.L., Kelly, M.E., McIntyre, D.C and Robertson, H.A. (2005) Neuroprotection and neurorescue by clomethiazole following hypoxic-ischemic injury: A functional evaluation using afterdischarge thresholds and kindling. Neuroscience 131(4):785-92.
- Xu, B., Fahnestock, M., McIntyre, D.C. and Racine, R.J. (2004) Strain differences affect in induction of status epilepticus and seizure-induced morphological changes. European Journal of Neuroscience Jul;20(2):403-18.
- Reinhart, C.J., McIntyre, D.C. and Pellis, S.M. (2004) The development of play fighting in kindling-prone (FAST) and kindling-resistant (SLOW) rats: How does the retention of phenotypic juvenility affect the complexity of play? Developmental Psychobiology Sep;45(2):83-92.
- Shin, R. Merali, Z., Anisman, H. and McIntyre, D.C. (2004) Amygdala amino acid and monoamine levels in genetically fast and slow kindling rat strains during massed amygdala kindling. European Journal of Neuroscience Jul;20(1):185-94.
- Foster, J.A., Puchowicz, M.J., McIntyre, D.C. and Herkenham, M. (2004) Activin mRNA induced during amygdala kindling shows a spatiotemporal progression that tracks the spread of seizures. J. Comparative Neurology Aug 9;476(1):91-102.
- McIntyre, D.C., McLeod, W. and Anisman, H. (2004) Working and reference memory in seizure-prone and seizure-resistant rats: Impact of amygdala kindling. Behavioral Neuroscience . Apr;118(2):314-23.
- McIntyre, D.C. (2004) Kindling. Encyclopedia of Neuroscience. 3; 1-3
- Flynn, C., Monfils, M-H., Kleim, J.A., Kolb, B., McIntyre, D.C., and Teskey, G.C. (2004) Differential neuroplastic changes in neocortical movement representations and dendritic morphology in epilepsy-prone and epilepsy-resistant rat strains following high-frequency stimulation. European J. Neuroscience April;19(8):2319-28.
- Racine, R.J., Steingart, M. Bureau, Y. and McIntyre, D.C. (2003) Differential sensitivity of genetically Fast versus Slow Kindling rats strains to GABAergic convulsive agents. Neuropharmacology. 45(7): 918-924.
- Kelly, O.P., McIntosh,J., McIntyre, D.C., Merali, Z. and Anisman, H . (2003) Anxiety in rats selectively bred for fast and slow kindling rates: situation-specific outcomes. Stress 6: 289-295.
- Anisman, H, and McIntyre, D.C. (2002) Conceptual, spatial and cue learning in the Morris water-maze in Fast or Slow kindling rats: attention deficit comorbidity. Journal of Neuroscience. 22(17): 7809-7817.
- McIntyre, D.C., Hutcheon, B., Schwabe, K. and Poulter, M.O. (2002) Divergent GABAA receptor mediated synaptic transmission in genetically seizure-prone and seizure-resistant rats. Journal of Neuroscience. 22(22): 9922-9931.
- Anisman, H. and McIntyre, D.C. (2002) Impulsivity and attention deficits in rats bred for seizure susceptibility. Iberoamericana de informacian cientifica . A4 1-6.
- Shin, R. Merali, Z., Anisman, H. and McIntyre, D.C. (2002) Changes in extracellular levels of amygdala amino acids in genetically Fast versus Slow kindling rat strains. Brain Research, 946:31-42.
- Kelly M.E., Staines, W.A. and McIntyre, D.C. (2002) Secondary generalization of hippocampal kindled seizures: role of the piriform cortex. Brain Research 957:152-161.
- McIntyre, D.C., Poulter, M.O. and Gilby, K. (2002) Kindling: some old some new. Epilepsy Research . 50: 79-92.
- Coulter, D.A., McIntyre, D.C. and Löscher, W. (2002) Animal models of limbic epilepsy: What can they tell us? Brain Pathology , 12: 240-257.
Recent Book Chapters
- McIntyre, D.C. and Gilby, K.L. (2010) The Pathophysiology of Limbic Epileptic Seizures. In: C.P. Panayiotopoulos, et al. (Eds.)The Atlas of Epilepsies. Springer Inc., New York.
- McIntyre, D.C. (2008) Impact of norepinephrine on epileptogenesis. In: P.A. Schwartzkroin (Ed.)Encyclopedia of Basic Epilepsy Research. Elsevier Inc., San Diego.
- McIntyre, D.C. (2008) Does kindling in humans occur? In: D. Schmidt and S. C. Schachter (Eds.),Epilepsy Case Studies: Challenges for Clinical and Basic Science. Elsevier Inc., San Diego.
- McIntyre D.C. and Schwartzkroin, P.A. (2006) The Limbic System: Structure and Function, In: J. Engel and T. Pedley (Eds.),EPILEPSY: A comprehensive textbook, Lippincott-Raven, New York, pp 351-365.
- McIntyre, D.C., Kelly, M.E. and Staines, W.A. (2006) The pathophysiology of seizure circuitry in status epilepticus. In: C.G. Waterlain and D.M. Treiman (Eds.),Status Epilepticus: Mechanisms and Management. MIT Press, Cambridge MA, pp 229-239.
- McIntyre, D.C., Kelly, M.E. and Staines, W.A. (2005) The pathophysiology of seizure circuitry in status epilepticus. MIT Press.
- McIntyre, D.C. and Gilby, K.L. (2005) Parahippocampal Networks, Intractability and the Chronic Epilepsy of Kindling, In Warren Blume (Ed.) Intractable Epilepsy Conference Advances, pp77-83 in Neurology, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia.
- McIntyre, D.C. and Gilby, K.L. (2005) Electrophysiological and anatomical differences, behavioral comorbidities and gene expression in Fast and Slow kindling rat strains, In M.E. Corcoran & S.L. Moshe (Eds.) Kindling 6 , pp 171-181, Kluver Press, New York.
- McIntyre, D.C. (2005) The kindling model. In Pitkanen, A., Moshe, S. and Schwartzkroin, P.A. (Eds.) Models of Seizures and Epilepsy , pp. 351-365, Elsevier, San Diego.