What should students know?
For questions pertaining to PSYC 3901 A: The Fall Practicum in Psychology and PSYC 3905 A: The Fall/Winter Practicum in Psychology, please contact Dr. Joanna Pozzulo at email@example.com.
For questions pertaining to PSYC 3902 A: The Winter Practicum in Psychology, please contact Dr. Cheryl Harasymchuk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s it like to complete a Practicum?
Honours student Sasha Gunpat recently completed a practicum with the Centre for Healthy Active Living (CHAL) at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario. CHAL seeks to improve the health and quality of life of children with weight related health complications and support them and their families in achieving a healthy active lifestyle.
Sasha notes that “I was lucky enough to work with a fantastic health team that is entirely dedicated towards the well-being of children, youth, and their families. I learned so much about research guidelines, patient-provider interactions, and how to collaborate effectively as part of a team.” For Sasha, a practicum provided “some exposure into the mental health field and solidified that this is the right path for me.” She also appreciated the opportunity to make “a positive difference in the lives of children and their families.” Congratulations to Sasha and the many other Psychology students doing exceptional work in our community.
What should employers know?
Practicum students are highly-motivated to gain experience and make a meaningful contribution to your agency. All have achieved the advanced level of their program. Our students also present
- A depth and breadth of knowledge in psychology.
- An ability to understand and apply basic research methods in psychology, including research design, data analysis, and interpretation.
- Informational and technological literacy.
- Effective communication skills.
- An understanding of scientific integrity.
- A genuine desire to understand and improve the circumstances of others.
- Sociocultural awareness.
A sampling of participating agencies includes
- The Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
- Correctional Service Canada
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- Vista Brain Injury Services, and many more.