Research Participation Credits (SONA)
If you are taking PSYC 1001, 1002, 2001, 2002, you will have the opportunity to have an “up close” look at psychology research through research participation that is designed to foster understanding and appreciation of psychology.
- online interactive studies
- online non-interactive studies and
- reading and writing about research articles.
Research Participation credits are worth 4%:
- PSYC 1001 and 1002: 4% Research Participation Credits count towards final grade.
- PSYC 2001 and 2002: 4% Research Participation Credits count as bonus
Participating in Psychology Studies for Credit
One way to earn research participation marks is by participating in psychology studies conducted by psychology professors, graduate students, and honours thesis students from Carleton University’s Psychology Department.
In order to see a list of the available studies, you will need to log into the SONA system at http://carleton.sona-systems.com.
For the 2020 – 2021 academic year, there are two types of studies that you can sign-up for, both types of studies are completed ONLINE:
- Online interactive studies
- Requires face-to-face interaction in a virtual setting with researcher and/or other participant(s)
- Conducted through video/web conferencing (e.g., Zoom)
- Completed at a mutually agreed upon scheduled meeting time between the researcher and the participant(s)
- Online non-interactive studies
- Completed individually by the participant
- Completed through various survey websites or online experiment software programs
- Completed during a timeslot chosen by the participant from the range of available timeslots provided by the researcher
Online interactive studies: For each 30-minute block that you spend participating in an online interactive study, you will earn 0.5%.
- (up to) 30 min interactive study = 0.5%
- 31-60 min interactive study = 1.0%
- 61-90 min interactive study = 1.5%
- 91-120 min interactive study = 2% … etc.
Online non-interactive studies: For each 30-minute block that you spend participating in an online non-interactive study, you will earn 0.25%.
- (up to) 30 min non-interactive study = 0.25%
- 31-60 min non-interactive study = 0.5%
- 61-90 min non-interactive study = 0.75%
- 91-120 min non-interactive study = 1%…etc
NOTE: You decide how you would like to receive your 4% research participation credit. You can choose to participate in only interactive studies, choose to participate in only non-interactive studies, or choose to participate in a mixture of both interactive and non-interactive studies.
Reading and Writing about Research Articles for Credit
An alternative way to earn your 4% research participation credits is by reading and answering questions about research articles (see your course outline for more details).
How to Start?
At the beginning of the term that you are taking PSYC 1001, 1002, 2001, 2002, you will receive an e-mail containing your SONA login information and instructions explaining how to use the system. You will then have until the last day of classes for the term to earn your research participation credits (i.e., through psychology studies and/or alternative written assignments).
If you have not received an e-mail by the end of the first full week of classes or have questions, you should contact the SONA TA (Lauren Thompson) at email@example.com