Departmental Academic Advising

Our Undergraduate Office provides students with information on program and course requirements. Students are welcome to contact the Undergraduate Program Advisor or Undergraduate Supervisor to discuss concerns they may have regarding their Communication and Media Studies (CoMS) degree.

As Carleton University continues to follow our safe meetings and social distancing guidelines, the School of Journalism and Communication has transitioned to providing services remotely during our regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday).  For the most up to date campus information, please visit Carleton’s COVID-19 information website

The best way to connect with your Academic Advisor is by using our Advising Request Form.

Su Chong
Undergraduate Program Administrator
4306 Richcraft Hall
(613) 520-2600 x7405

Irena Knezevic
Supervisor of Undergraduate Studies
4317 Richcraft Hall
(613) 520-2600 x8396

General Academic Advising

Students with questions that are not specific to the B. CoMS program should see a general advisor in the Academic Advising office.

If you are experiencing academic difficulties, a general advisor can assist you to put together a plan to get back on track. They can also help if you have questions about reading your audit, choosing degree elements, and understanding academic regulations or the Academic Performance Evaluation.

Connect via email, phone or in person in order to discuss your academic plan. Contact information for general academic advising can be found here.

Further questions? Not sure who to ask?

See a list of frequently asked questions, or consult the table below.

I’m looking to: Who can help?
Understand my audit Academic Advising Centre
Plan out course selection in my major/minor Departmental Advisor
Add Communication & Media Studies as my major/minor Departmental Advisor
Gain course access All registration activity is managed online through Carleton Central. If you are missing a prerequsite, submit an Override Request through the Main Menu of Carleton Central.
Take courses at another institution in Canada If applying to a Letter of Permission, the Registrar’s Office will oversee your application. Your Departmental Advisor can assist once the credits appear on your audit.
Change, add, drop a major/minor Centre for Student Academic Support
Go on exchange Information on applying for the Exchange Process can be found at the International Student Services Office.To learn how exchange would impact your courses contact your Departmental Advisor.
Improve my grades or my study skills Centre for Student Academic Support
Understand my major requirements Departmental Advisor
Prepare for registration or register for courses For assistance navigating the registration system, review the Registration website. Your Departmental Advisor can assist with course selection
Apply for awards Search for scholarships at the Awards and Financial Aid website.