Complete the following steps prior to your departure to Ottawa so you can thrive when you arrive!
New International Graduate Students also need to access the Checklist for New Graduate Students by visiting the Grad Student site.
Steps to Follow Before You Arrive in Ottawa
The Top 5 Before You Arrive
- Apply for your study permit immediately after accepting your Offer of Admission.
- Note important dates and deadlines within the New Student Checklist available through the Registrar’s Office.
- Register for the I-Start Orientation program on Brightspace for all incoming international students. (Course launch on July 1, 2023)
- Airport Welcome Program between August 31 – September 3 from 9:00am – 3:00pm.
- Register for International Welcome Week starting from September 1 – September 6, 2023
- Register for classes on Carleton Central.
- Make copies of your identification and other important documents. Make note of where you store copies for safe-keeping.
Bonus Tip: Check your Carleton University e-mail regularly for important university updates.
- Find a place to live. Apply to live on campus on the Housing Services page OR visit the off-campus living resource page.
- Will you be quarantining upon arrival in Canada? Be sure to pack a universal or travel power adaptor for any technology you are bringing in the event that your technology does not correspond with voltage or plugs in Canada.
- Make a plan for transferring funds from home to Canada.
- View your account balance on Carleton Central and pay your tuition, residence, and auxiliary fees through your student account.
- Learn what is included in your mandatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and consider travel insurance for the journey to Canada.
- Pack important medical records and order extra prescription medication you may need.
- Follow our Ravens Student Life team on social media on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Subscribe to our weekly ISSO newsletter to stay up to date.
- Pre-order your Campus Card online.
- Familiarize yourself with Ottawa’s transportation systems.
- Read about Canadian culture to get ready for your Canadian adventure!
Specific Resources for Undergraduate, Graduate, and Exchange Students
- New undergraduate students should register for CU1001, a free campus orientation. (July – November, 2023).
- New graduate students should access the Checklist for New Graduate Students at the New Grad Student webpage.
- New exchange students will be sent a Checklist for Exchange Students and a How to Prepare for Your Studies Guide by the Incoming Exchange Program Coordinator.