Nanocomposites, high strain rate deformation of polymers, transparent armor; Effects of radiation on materials in nuclear reactors; Nano-mechanics; Multiscale and molecular dynamics simulations of materials; High-performance computing applications of multi-scale modeling in materials science.
- Computational Mechanics of Materials
- Molecular Dynamics and Multiscale Modeling
- Transparent Armor and Nanocomposites
- Oil antioxidants
- Atomistic Modeling of Crystal Defects
Research Group Website (click the link)
“Modeling Materials: Continuum, Atomistic and Multiscale Techniques” E.B. Tadmor and R.E. Miller, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
“Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics: From Fundamental Concepts to Governing Equations” E.B. Tadmor, R.E. Miller and R.S. Elliott, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Journal Articles: Full list here: (https://carleton.ca/nanomechanics/research-contributions/)
Contributed Papers in Refereed Journals (submitted):
- Nuwan Dewapriya and Ronald Miller, “Nanoscale Energy Absorption Mechanisms of Ultrathin Multilayer Structures Under Ballistic Impact Loading,” submitted to Computational Materials Science, December 2020.
- Nuwan Dewapriya and Ronald Miller, “Molecular Dynamics Study of the Penetration Resistance of Multilayer Polymer/Ceramic Nanocomposites Under Supersonic Projectile Impacts,” submitted to Extreme Mechanics Letters, October 2020.
Contributed Papers in Refereed Journals (published):
- Zheng Liu, Xin Wang, Ronald Miller, Jiaqi Hu and Xu Chen “Ductile fracture properties of 16MND5 bainitic forging steel under different in-plane and out-of-plane constraint conditions: experiments and predictions,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 241, 107359, 2021. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2020.107359)
- Nuwan Dewapriya and Ronald Miller, “Superior Dynamic Penetration Resistance of Nanoscale Multilayer Polymer/Metal Films,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, 87(12): 121009 (11 pages) 2020. (https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4048319).
- Rafaela Aguiar, Ronald Miller and Oren Petel “Synthesis and Characterization of Partially Silane-Terminated Polyurethanes Reinforced with Acid-Treated Halloysite Nanotubes for Transparent Armour Systems,” Scientific Reports, 10:13805, 2020. (open access)
- Nuwan Dewapriya and Ronald Miller, “Molecular dynamics study of the mechanical behaviour of ultrathin polymer-metal multilayers under extreme dynamic conditions,” Computational Materials Science, 184, 109951, 2020. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2020.109951)
- Manura Liyanage, Ronald Miller and Nimal Rajapakse, “Denuded zones in zirconium pressure vessels: oxygen’s role examined via multi-scale diffusion model,” Modeling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 28, 065005, 2020. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-651X/ab99cf)
- Chris Bassindale, Ronald Miller and Xin Wang, “Effect of single initial overload and mean load on the low-cycle fatigue life of normalized 300M alloy steel,” International Journal of Fatigue, 130, 105273, 2020. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2019.105273)
- Manura Liyanage, Ronald Miller and Nimal Rajapakse, “First principles study of hydrogen in lead zirconate titanate,” Smart Materials and Structures, 28, 034002, 2019. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/aafeed)
- Manura Liyanage, Ronald Miller and Nimal Rajapakse, “Multi-scale approach for determining hydrogen diffusivity in zirconium,” Modeling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 26, 085002, 2018. (https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-651X/aae2c8)
- Jean-François Joly and Ronald Miller, “Density Functional Theory Rate Calculation of Hydrogen Abstraction Reactions of N‐Phenyl-α-naphthylamine Antioxidants,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 57, pp 876–880, 2018. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.7b04073)
Recent Papers Published in Conference Proceedings:
- Synthesis and mechanical characterization of polyurethane reinforced with halloysite nanotubes” AIP Conference Proceedings 2272, 120001, 2020.