Graduate Professional Development

As a graduate student at Carleton, you have access to a variety of professional development resources. These include skill workshops, one-on-one career and writing consultations, career-oriented events, and even structured programs. Challenge yourself by acquiring new skills that can help you boost your employability. To learn more, visit the Graduate Professional Development website at

Graduate Students interested in taking 4th year courses:

Effective Fall 2014, Masters students will only be allowed to take one (1) undergraduate course towards their degree.  You will need to use the Engineering Scheduler Tool here:

You will need the permission from the Undergraduate Academic Support office.

Go to this link Engineering (Course) Request Form. Please follow the instructions in the middle section, and then access the Scheduler Tool using the link above.

Change of Status from Full-Time to Part-Time (Calendar reg. 7.10):

Students who have valid reasons for changing status from full-time to part-time prior to registration for a term may apply for permission by:

  • Writing to the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs stating the reason(s) for seeking exemption from the full-time registration requirements stated in 7.9.
  • By completing a Change of Registration Status Form, accompanied by a statement from the departmental graduate supervisor/associate chair (graduate affairs)  – and the thesis supervisor, if applicable  – in support of their request.

It is understood that such a status change will be granted only in exceptional cases (e.g., for medical reasons.)  Exemptions are normally granted for a term.

Calendar and Thesis information:

Student Travel Bursary

  • Graduate Students wishing to apply for a Graduate Travel Bursary need to fill out an application via Carleton Central as well as give a seminar presentation.

Course Approval

  • Graduate courses offered by departments in other disciplines may be taken for credit with pre-approval by the Department (through the graduate officer).