Must be available from June 27 to July 29
Program runs Sunday, July 3 – Friday, July 29, 2022
What is Shad Canada?
Shad is a STEAM and entrepreneurship program for students in grades 10 and 11. During the immersive month-long program, students live on campus and participate in a real-world design challenge that prepares them to take on social and economic challenges. Shad’s program is transformational and life changing and many participants go on to innovate and start their own businesses. Shad is a registered charity and has been running since 1980 and has more than 20,000 alumni.
Shad is not a 9-3 classroom – it is a jam-packed 27 days in July full of activities inside and outside of a university environment. Our immersive program requires dedicated and responsible Program Assistants who can help bring program activities to life and ensure the safety, well-being and engagement of Shad participants.
About the role:
As a Program Assistant, you’ll live on campus for the duration of the program and be responsible for the education, mentorship, and safety of Shad participants. It is a multi-faceted role with a focus on facilitating a safe, inclusive and engaged community. You’ll create, lead and deliver academic workshops that draw from your own interests and experiences, guide discussions, and support program operations and logistics. Being a Program Assistant is one of the most demanding but rewarding opportunities you will experience.
Here’s what you’ll do:
● Be fully present in program activities, which may include lectures, workshops, events, recreational activities, cultural and social field trips
● Live on campus for the duration of the program. Room and board provided
● Prepare two hands-on workshops, on a topic of your interest, prior to your arrival on campus for Team Training
● Monitor and support engagement, interaction, performance behaviour of Shad participants, reporting and consulting with Program Directors regarding any concerns
● Play an advisory and mentor role for Shad project groups of 8-10 participants
● Act in accordance with Shad’s risk management policies and frameworks, to ensure the safety and well-being of program participants
● Assist in the organized and timely execution of program activities and logistics
● Write a final report that highlights areas of strengths, needs and recommendations to elevate the program for future years
You’ll succeed in this role if you have:
An assertive, confident and friendly communication style – you’ll work closely with Shad participants and Team Members from across the country with differing communication styles. You will be guiding participants through program activities, mediating conflicts, facilitating discussions, providing directions and instructions and be one of
the first Team Members they turn to when they have an issue. You are approachable, a clear communicator and able to excite and engage Shad participants into the program.
A mindset for safety, inclusion and community – the well-being of Shad participants and Team Members is always our topmost priority during the program. You take initiative to ensure safety measures and risk-management frameworks are being implemented and have a keen eye for monitoring the physical and emotional well-being of participants and the Shad community as a whole. You are also able self-manage your own health throughout the demanding 27-day program, ensuring you are mindful of your own energy and wellness.
and you have:
● Experience working with and being responsible for youth in a variety of roles
● An ability to anticipate problems and take initiative to solve them before they happen
● Diverse and well-rounded experiences and interests that features community service, volunteer work and extracurricular activities
● Experience in collaborative team environments
● Strong sense of responsibility, maturity and ability to exercise good judgment
● Ensure risk management frameworks and policies are being followed at all times within the program by participants
● Completing an undergraduate program (preferably in their 3rd or 4th year). Recent graduates with industry experience are also of interest.
● Familiarity with the programs and facilities of Carleton University
● Successful candidates will be required to have a Police Vulnerable Sector Check completed and hold current Standard First Aid and CPR certification prior to starting Team Member Training
● All program team members contracted for the Shad2022 program will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have approved accommodation
How do I apply?
Program Assistant applicants are encouraged to refer to https://carleton.ca/shad/ or www.shad.ca for more information about the program. To be considered in the first round of applicants, please submit your application (cover letter and resume) to email@example.com before January 14, 2022.