1. I want to apply to your program but my grades are low. What can I do? Do you have a qualifying year program? We do not have a qualifying year under our program. Students can take courses as special students without affiliation to any program. Namely, a student is not accepted to a program if they wish to improve their grades. An international student may not be able to apply for a visa if they are not accepted into a program. The best course of action is to improve your grades and then apply for grad school.
  2. What is the deadline for applying to the program? We offer fall term admission. The deadline to apply for fall is January 15th.
  3. As an international candidate, should I apply to the MCS? We appreciate the significant interest of international students in our MCS program. Although we typically do not accept international applicants to the MCS, we remain open to considering exceptional cases. If you have achieved outstanding academic grades in both Computer Science and Mathematics, with a CGPA of at least 85% for those two topics, we still encourage you to apply. However, please note that meeting this criterion does not guarantee admission. In particular, in the statement of interest of your application, you must include an email from an SCS professor confirming that they will supervise and fund you if you are admitted.
  4. What are the requirements for English as a Second Language (ESL)? The ESL requirements can be found here. These requirements must be met before you can start your graduate studies. TOEFL/IELTS results are valid for 2 years from the test date.  
  5. Is the GRE general test score required? No, we do not require a GRE. But if you have taken that exam, then please do indicate your scores.
  6. Do I need to identify a graduate faculty with whom I would like to work? If you have specific faculty members with whom you wish to work then we will first forward your file to the faculty members that you have indicated. If you did not specify any faculty members, then your file will be opened to all faculty members. Note that if the faculty members that you have indicated have decided not to accept you as their student, then your file will be open to all faculty members. We recommend that you also contact the potential supervisor(s) and discuss possible research work with them. If you are applying to the master’s program, then having a supervisor increases your chances of being accepted. If you are applying to the Ph.D. program, you must have a supervisor before you are admitted to the school.
  7. I have been working for several years. Can I submit a reference from the industry? We require 2 academic references. Sometimes depending on the years of experience (usually more than 10 years), we may make an exception and accept one academic reference and one non-academic. Preferably someone from the industry who has a Ph.D.
  8. How much does it cost to study at Carleton? Please consult the graduate page of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs. There you will find information about tuition fees and the cost of living.