The TA excellence awards are a great opportunity to acknowledge the dedication and efforts TAs provide to create a supportive environment for the students, faculty, and staff. The following awards are available to the TAs of the School of Computer Science.
Congratulations to all winners of School of Computer Science Outstanding Teaching Assistant Awards.
2020 – 2021 winners
- Grad TA award: François-Xavier Chaplain Corriveau
- Undergrad TA award: Forrest Buehlow
1. School of Computer Science Outstanding TA Award
- Up to 2 awards are given out annually
- Each award is valued at $100 and includes a commendation letter and formal recognition on the plaque kept in the School of Computer Science
2. Educational Development Centre’s (EDC’s) Outstanding TA Award
- Up to 5 awards are given out annually
- Each award is valued at $250 and includes a certificate and formal recognition on the plaque outside of the EDC training room (422 Dunton Tower)
Who is eligible?
i. Only those TAs that have been assigned to a Comp sc. course (Summer – Winter, full year or one
term) are eligible for these TA Awards.
Who should submit the nomination form/package?
ii. Who can nominate?
- Faculty, contract instructors, and students are welcome to nominate their TA(s).
iii. Are self-nominations welcome?
- Yes, TAs may nominate themselves for the award but self-nominations that have meaningful
support from faculty, contract instructors, or students in the course will be given more
iv. Preference for faculty nominations?
- Faculty nominations will be weighted more significantly than other non-faculty
v. Any preference for support from students?
- Submissions that provide meaningful support will be weighted more significantly than nonspecific compliments.
vi. Can teaching materials be included and, if so, what conditions are placed on these documents?
- Yes, but submitted content should include a description of the context (i.e., why is it included, what impact did the content have, etc.)
Where and when to submit?
vii. Nominators are asked to complete the digital ‘Outstanding TA Awards’ (available through the
EDC’s ‘TA Support’ website here), and attach any additional documentation using this online form.
viii. For the 2021-2022 academic term, the deadline to submit nominations is March 28, 2022,
- The committee consists of the Associate Director (undergraduate) and the Lab Coordinators.
The committee considers all ways in which TAs improve or contribute to learning within the School
of Computer Science and specifically the following criteria:
- Teaching Skills (Excellence in-class, such as guest lectures, discussion groups, labs, tutorials,
review sessions, office hours)
- Grading (Consistency, feedback, support of students)
- Communication (Email or in-person: clear, concise, supportive, rational)
- Environment (Means by which the TA creates a supportive, inclusive learning and working
environment reflecting the diversity of personality types and needs of the class, faculty, staff
& students – in-person or online)
- Other (All other criteria that has not been addressed that exemplifies why this individual
excels in their role as a teaching assistant)
Date winner(s) will be informed
- The winner(s) will be notified in April.