On April 1, 2020, the new Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration (TAGFA) took effect. In accordance with the TAGFA, use of grant funds is determined based on adherence to four principles, supported by directives (mandatory requirements).
These four basic principles govern the appropriate use of funds.
Grant Expenditures must:
- contribute towards the direct costs of the research/activities for which the funds were awarded, with benefits directly attributable to the grant
- not normally be provided by the administering institution to their research personnel
- be effective and economical
- not result in personal gain for members of the research team
In addition to the four principles, five directives have been established to provide a framework for administering institutions and grant recipients to exercise sound judgment and due diligence in their decision making process concerning the use of Agency grant funds. The directives are detailed in “Part 2: Use of Grant Funds” in the TAGFA guide.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
The Tri-Agency’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) is captured in the Tri-Agency Statement on EDI and the Tri-Agency EDI Action Plan.
The University is responsible for recognizing the importance of EDI in our policies and practices as stated in the Agreement on the Administration of Agency Grants and Awards by Research Institutions and the Tri-Agency defers to the relevant administering institution’s policies and practices, to ensure compliance with this agreement.
Grant recipients are responsible for ensuring that they carry out their grant activities in accordance with the EDI policies and practices of their administering institutions.
Relevant University Policies:
The following policies are available on the University Secretariat website, listed in alphabetical order:
- Acquisition of Wireless Cellular Services Policy
- Approval and Delegation of Authority
- Conflict of Interest and Commitment
- Desktop and Laptop Computer Equipment
- eCard Policy and Procedures
- Equipment Inventory
- Financial Fraud Prevention and Reporting
- Honorary and Affiliated Ranks at Carleton University
- Hospitality and Working Meal Expenses
- Indirect Costs of Research
- Payments to Individuals and Business Entities
- Procurement Card
- Research and External Support Fund Creation and Amendments
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Signing Authorities
- Travel and Related Expenses
- University Funded Gifts, Recognition and Donations