Dr. Joana Rocha is an Associate Professor and Associate Chair in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Carleton University, in Ottawa. Before joining Carleton University, Dr. Rocha was a Visiting Researcher at NASA Langley Research Centre and National Institute of Aerospace, in Virginia, USA. She received her Ph.D. and M.A.Sc. degrees at University of Victoria, in Victoria, where her research focused on the development of models for prediction of flow-induced noise in aircraft.
Since joining Carleton University as a Professor in 2012, Dr. Rocha has established the Aeroacoustics Research Laboratory, with unique capabilities. The aeroacoustic high-speed wind tunnel allows Dr. Rocha and her team to develop state-of-the-art research in areas such as aircraft noise prediction and noise reduction. Dr. Rocha’s research focuses aircraft noise prediction, design and optimization of aircraft structures for noise reduction, aeroacoustics, wind tunnel testing, turbulent-flow induced noise, structural-acoustics, and turbulence modelling with applications in aerospace. Through her research, Dr. Rocha aims to design and develop new aircraft concepts which are quieter.
Dr. Rocha has been the recipient of a number of research awards, including the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Discovery Grant, Early Career Researcher (ECR) Award, Consortium for Aerospace Research and Innovation in Canada (CARIC) and Consortium for Research and Innovation in Aerospace in Québec (CRIAQ) Grant. She is a member of the Board of Directors of Canadian Acoustical Association, and Associate Editor for the Canadian Acoustics journal.
- Y. Salama, and J. Rocha, ELES and Tonal Noise Prediction of Slanted-Root Trailing-Edge Serrations, Proceedings of the 50th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering (InterNoise 2021), Washington, DC, USA, Aug. 1-5, 2021.
- N. Thomson, and J. Rocha (2021), Comparison of Semi-Empirical Single Point Wall Pressure Spectrum Models with Experimental Data. Fluids 6(8):270. https://doi.org/10.3390/fluids6080270
- B. Al Tlua, and J. Rocha, Numerical Optimization and Wind Tunnel Testing of Trailing Edge Serrations for Reducing Airfoil Self-Noise, Proceedings of the 27th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV27), Prague, Czech Republic, Jul. 11-16, 2021.
- B. Al Tlua, and J. Rocha (2020), Optimization and Testing of Flat-Plate Trailing Edge Serration Geometry for Reducing Broadband Airfoil Self-Noise. Canadian Acoustics 48(4):7-17.
- G. Desmarais, and J. Rocha (2020), An Experimental Investigation of the use of an Outlet Silencer to Quiet Ejectors. International Journal of Aeroacoustics 19(1-2):4-37. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475472X20905060
- F. Giardino, and J. Rocha (2019), Design and Characterization of a High-Speed Subsonic Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel. Journal of Aircraft 56(1):108-120. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C035113
- J. Halpenny, and J. Rocha, Minimizing Sonic Boom Noise to Meet Potential Regulatory Limits, Proceedings of the Acoustics Week in Canada 2019, Edmonton, AB, Canada, Oct. 8-11, 2019.
- B. Al Tlua, and J. Rocha, Development and Testing of an Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel Test Section, Proceedings of the Acoustics Week in Canada 2019, Edmonton, AB, Canada, Oct. 8-11, 2019.
- G. Desmarais, and J. Rocha (2018) Discrete Tones in Subsonic Jet Engine Test Cells. Progress in Aerospace Sciences 101: 49-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2018.07.003
- F. Giardino, and J. Rocha, Design and Evaluation of a High-Speed Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel, Proceedings of 176th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America and Acoustics Week in Canada 2018, Victoria, BC, Canada, Nov. 5-9, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.5067572
- S. Sonnenberg, J. Rocha, M. Misol, and M. Rose (2018), Experimental Validation Of An Acceleration Power Spectral Density Aircraft Panel Model Given Different Excitation. Canadian Acoustics 46(2): 19-29.
- J. Van Blitterswyk, and J. Rocha (2017), An Experimental Study of the Wall Pressure Fluctuations Beneath Low Reynolds Number Turbulent Boundary Layers. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 141(2): 1257-1268. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4976341
- S. Sonnenberg, and J. Rocha (2017), Extended Optimization Study and Panel Parameter Study for Noise Radiation Reduction of an Aircraft Panel Excited by Turbulent Flow. Canadian Acoustics 45(1): 7-13.
- J. Rocha (2016), Impact of the Chosen Turbulent Flow Empirical Model on the Prediction of Sound Radiation and Vibration by Aircraft Panels. Journal of Sound and Vibration 373:285-301. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2016.03.026
- S. Sonnenberg, and J. Rocha, Optimization Study and Panel Parameter Study for Noise Radiation Reduction of an Aircraft Panel Excited by Turbulent Flow, Proceedings of the Acoustics Week in Canada 2016, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Sep. 21-23, 2016.
- J. Van Blitterswyk, and J. Rocha, Wall-Pressure Coherence Beneath a Low Reynolds Number Turbulent Boundary Layer, Proceedings of the 24th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Montreal, QC, Canada, Aug. 21-26, 2016.
- M. Brezina, and J. Rocha, A Study of Minimizing the Noise from a Trailing Edge by the use of Optimized Serrations, Proceedings of the 171st Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, May 23-27, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4950579
- R. Greiss, J. Rocha, E. Matida, Modal analysis of a parameterized model of pathological vocal fold vibration, 2016 IEEE EMBS International Student Conference (ISC), Ottawa, ON, Canada, May 29-31, 2016. http://doi.org./10.1109/EMBSISC.2016.7508609
- R. Greiss, J. Rocha, E. Matida (2015), Validation of a Finite Element Code for a Continuum Model of Vocal Fold Vibration Under the Influence of a Sessile Polyp. Canadian Acoustics 43(1): 13-25.
- J. Rocha (2014), Sound Radiation and Vibration of Composite Panels Excited by Turbulent Flow: Analytical Prediction and Analysis. Shock and Vibration 2014, Article No.316481. http:// doi.org/10.1155/2014/316481
- J. Van Blitterswyk, and J. Rocha (2014), Prediction and Measurement of Flow-Induced Wall-Pressure Fluctuations at Low Mach Numbers. Canadian Acoustics 42(4): 3-14.
- R. Williams, J. Rocha, E. Matida, and F. Nitzsche, Assessment of Surface-Based Aeroacoustic Noise From Blades of a Vertical-Axis Wind Turbine, Proceedings of the ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE2014), Montreal, QC, Canada, Nov. 14-20, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1115/IMECE2014-38199
- J. Van Blitterswyk, and J. Rocha, Prediction and Measurement of Turbulent Boundary Layer Wall-Pressure Fluctuations on the Surface of a Single Panel at Low Mach Numbers, Proceedings of the Acoustics Week in Canada 2014, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, Oct. 7-10, 2014.
- R. Greiss, J. Rocha, E. Matida, Validation of a Finite Element Continuum Model of Vocal Fold Vibration, Proceedings of the Acoustics Week in Canada 2014, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, Oct. 7-10, 2014.
- J. Rocha, Noise Radiation of Aluminum and Composite Aircraft Panels Excited by Flow and by Random Noise, Proceedings of the IV ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Mechanical Response of Composites, S. Miguel, Azores, Sep. 25-27, 2013.
- J. Rocha and D. Palumbo (2012), On the sensitivity of Sound Power Radiated by Aircraft Panels to Turbulent Boundary Layer Parameters. Journal of Sound and Vibration 331(21):4785-4806. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2012.05.030
- D. Palumbo and J. Rocha, The Influence of Boundary Layer Parameters on Interior Noise, Proceedings of the 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (33rd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference), Colorado Springs, CO, USA, Jun. 4-6, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2012-2203
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau (2012), Prediction of Turbulent Boundary Layer Induced Noise in the Cabin of a BWB Aircraft. Shock and Vibration 19(4):693-705. http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/SAV-2011-0660
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau (2011), Flow-Induced Noise and Vibration in Aircraft Cylindrical Cabins: Closed-Form Analytical Model Validation. Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 133(5), Article No.051013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4003935
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau (2010), Turbulent Boundary Layer Induced Noise and Vibration of a Multi-Panel Walled Acoustic Enclosure. Canadian Acoustics 38(4): 9-22.
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau, Prediction of Turbulent Flow-Induced Noise in Aircraft Cabins, Proceedings of the ASME 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE 2010), Vancouver, BC, Canada, Nov. 12-18, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1115/IMECE2010-39231
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau, Prediction of Flow-Induced Noise in Aircraft Cylindrical Cabins, Proceedings of the Acoustics Week in Canada 2010, Victoria, BC, Canada, Oct. 13-15, 2010.
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau, Flow-induced noise in aircraft cylindrical cabins: Analytical Model validation, Proceedings of the 39th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering (Inter-Noise 2010), Lisbon, Portugal, Jun. 13-16, 2010.
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau, Turbulent flow-induced noise in the cabin of a BWB aircraft, 2010 Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering Forum, Victoria, BC, Canada, June 2010.
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau (2009), Prediction of Flow-induced Noise in Transport Vehicles: Development and Validation of a Coupled Structural-Acoustic Analytical Framework. Canadian Acoustics 37(4):13-29.
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman and F. Lau, An Accurate Coupled Structural-Acoustic Analytical Framework for the Prediction of Random and Flow-Induced Noise in Transport Vehicles: Its Validation, Acoustics Week in Canada 2008, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON, Canada, Oct. 14-16, 2009.
- J. Rocha, P. Moniz and A. Suleman (2007), Aeroelastic Control of a Wing with Active Skins Using Piezoelectric Patches. Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures 14(1):23-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15376490600864505
- J. Rocha, P. Moniz, A. Costa and A. Suleman (2005), On Active Aeroelastic Control of an Adaptive Wing using Piezoelectric Actuators. Journal of Aircraft 42(1):278-282. http://dx.doi.org/10.2514/1.308
- J. Rocha, A. Costa, P. Moniz and A. Suleman, Aeroelastic Performance of an Adaptive Wing using Active Spars and Skins Concepts, Proceedings of the Congress in Computational Methods in Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, May 31 – Jun. 2, 2004.
- J. Rocha, A. Suleman, A. Costa, P. Moniz and D. Santos, Research and Development of an Active Aeroelastic Adaptive Flight Demonstrator, Proceedings of the CEAS/AIAA/ NVvL International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics 2003 (IFASD 2003), Amsterdam, Netherlands, Jun. 4-6, 2003.