Experimental and computational study of fluid flows with application to aerospace, power generation and biomedicine.
- shear layer instability and transition
- forced convection heat transfer in heated supercritical fluids
- transition and turbulence modelling
- vortical flows
- separation bubbles and flow separation control
- passive control of boundary layer transition and turbulence
- aerodynamic optimization of lift-generating surfaces
- aerodynamic optimization of lobed mixers and diffusing bends
- axial-turbine blade aerodynamics
- design optimization of a novel hydrokinetic turbine
- study of blood flow in the ascending aorta, the aortic arch and the descending thoracic aorta
- Brinkerhoff, J.R., Yaras, M.I., 2014, “Numerical Investigation of the Generation and Growth of Coherent Flow Structures in a Triggered Turbulent Spot,” accepted for publication in the Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
- Dave, N., Azih, C., Yaras, M.I., 2013, “A DNS Study on the Effects of Convex Streamwise Curvature on Coherent Structures in a Turbulent Boundary Layer with Supercritical Water,” Int. J. of Heat and Fluid Flow Vol. 44, pp. 635-643.
- Brinkerhoff, J.R., Oria, H., Yaras, M.I., 2013, “Experimental and Computational Study of Mixing Mechanisms in an Axisymmetric Lobed Mixer,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 1017-1030.
- Brinkerhoff, J.R., Yaras, M.I., 2013, “Direct Numerical Simulations of Transitional Separation-Bubble Development in Swept-Blade Flow Conditions,” ASME J. of Turbomachinery, Vol. 135, No. 4, pp. 041006/1-041006/10; also published in the proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2012.