SCS OpenStack is an open-source cloud-computing software platform used by the School to support courses and research
How to get an Account on SCS OpenStack
There are a few different ways to qualify for an account on OpenStack:
- Course Requirement: If you are in a course that requires OpenStack, you will automatically be added when you Create or Update your SCS account at the beginning of your term. You can create or update your SCS account by following the Online Account Management Link on the SCS Accounts Page
NOTE: You must update your SCS account every term to ensure access to OpenStack.
- Research Group: If your Graduate Research Group has access to OpenStack, then your Faculty member or a support staff can arrange for you to have access
- Other SCS Student Requests: We encourage users of our OpenStack! If you have an interesting research project (either graduate or undergraduate) that could benefit from the dynamic compute resources found in our OpenStack, we can consider your request. Simply find a faculty sponsor that is willing to take a look at your request and vouch for you having access. In particular, this has been helpful for a number of 4th Year Honours Projects.
How to access SCS OpenStack
Once you have an SCS OpenStack Account (see above), the service is accessed in two ways:
- Initially you will access OpenStack via the web portal known as the OpenStack Dashboard – Horizon Through the web portal you can provision your OpenStack instances, and access their shell or desktop directly through a web based console viewer (VNC type viewer). The VNC viewer is generally just used for initial setup and emergencies
- Most of the time, you will use OpenStack resources via direct connections to your instances’ public IP address using services such ssh or http/https
SCS OpenStack can only be accessed from the Carleton University network. If you are working off-campus, you will need to VPN (Virtual Private Networking) to Carleton’s network. All Carleton students and employees can access the Carleton VPN using the following Carleton Remote Access VPN Instructions