Due to the sequence of required core courses in the program, new applications are considered only for fall term entry. Applications for admission to the graduate program may be submitted at any time up to August 31 for the fall term. However, because we receive a large number of applications, applying early (i.e. before March 1) increases your chances of admission and of receiving financial assistance.
First, create an online application account and then complete and submit the online application form and pay the application fee. You can request an account on this site.
As part of the application process, we require several documents which can be uploaded into the application system. The online application process will prompt you how to submit these documents.
- A personal statement of goals and interests. In this, we would like you to take up to 500 words to describe your goals for graduate work. You should discuss your interest in the area you wish to pursue, including your reflections on any relevant previous study or practical experience. Also, as far as it is now possible, you can tentatively identify the courses you are interested in and the research questions you want to investigate.
- References from two academic referees. You will be asked to provide contact information for at least two academic referees. Once payment of the application fee has been made, Carleton University will contact the referees by email and request them to submit a reference for you. These references should be from university professors who can comment on your past academic work and your aptitude for success in our program. The more specific the referees are in describing your academic performance, the easier it is for us to make a well-informed decision. If you are unable to identify two academic referees, it is permissible to substitute ONE professional referee who can attest to your professional abilities.
- Transcripts of all of your previous undergraduate grades (and graduate grades, if you have already done graduate work), along with a confirmation of the conferred degree. If these are not in English, you must also provide a translation. You will be able to upload your transcripts in the application system. If you are accepted into the program, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Language Proficiency. It is important that you realize that your English has to be strong enough in practice to undertake a demanding program that requires extensive academic reading and writing as well as active participation in seminar discussions and oral presentations. Applicants will be required to confirm their English language proficiency using the Confirmation of Language Proficiency form or they will be required to provide an English language proficiency test score. More information.
- Your C.V. or resumé.
- A sample of an academic paper you have written (in English) that you are particularly proud of and which you think represents your interests and abilities well.
- International Applicants. If you have received an Offer of Admission, you will be required to submit a Course-by-Course evaluation (WES ICAP) from World Education Services (WES Canada). You will be notified at that time, if this is the case. More information.
Please note that we may not review your application until our application deadline (March 1) has passed. To find out the status of your application, you can log into Carleton Central and follow the “Graduate Admissions” link.
If you require additional information about how to apply, you can visit this FGPA website.