|Levels Offered||1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year||Full course list *|
|Minor Available||Yes||More details|
|Placement Test||Required for students with previous knowledge||More details|
|* Not all courses are offered every term, please check Carleton Central and/or the Public Class Schedule for course availability.|
About the Language
Spanish is a Romance language with roots in the rustic Latin of southern Cantabria. After it became the official language of the central Iberian kingdom of Castile, it expanded over most of the Iberian Peninsula and then across the Atlantic with the Conquistadors, to cover most of Central and South America.
Despite its dialectal variations, Spanish remains quite accessible to its more than 350 million speakers worldwide.
- It has a simpler sound system than English; only five vowel sounds.
- It is a syllable timed language so the vowels stay the same length.
- Once you have learned which sound corresponds to which letter you can easily write in Spanish.
- Although Spanish changes its word forms, the rules are generally quite consistent. For example: there are both masculine and feminine forms and these gender markings are carried into nouns and adjectives as well.
Study Spanish, a vital international language that could carry you far in the arts, business or political arenas. Or you can use it next time you find yourself in a Spanish-speaking tourist destination.
Also, for those with significant previous exposure to the language, we offer online Spanish courses for Heritage Language speakers. Click here to learn more.
Space in language courses is limited. Register as early as possible. If the course is full when you attempt to register, please submit a Course Registration Override Request or, if applicable, add your name to a waitlist on Carleton Central. Click here to learn more about how waitlisting works.
If you want to learn more about the requirements of each course, look over the course previews in the list below.
- SPAN 1010 – 1st Year Spanish I (Martinez)
- SPAN 2020 – 2rd Year Spanish II (Schnitzer)
- SPAN 3010 – 3rd Year Spanish I (Martinez)
- SPAN 4115 – Advanced Spanish for Specific Purposes (Martinez)
IMPORTANT: These previews will give you an idea of the types of assignments, readings, and instructor expectations you may encounter in the course. However, please be aware that these documents are NOT OFFICIAL COURSE OUTLINES. The actual courses you take may differ considerably from the descriptions provided in the previews.