Deadlines for Application
Due to the sequence of required core courses in the program, new applications are considered only for fall term entry.
Applications for admission to the PhD graduate program may be submitted at any time up to February 1 for the fall term.
How to Apply
First, create an online application account and then complete and submit the online application form and pay the application fee. You can request an application account on this site.
As part of the application process, we require several documents. The online application process will prompt you how to submit these documents.
Checklist of Required Documentation
- Statement of Intent. Your statement of intent should contain the following:
- A plan of research. In this, we would like you to take approximately 3,000 words (including a reference list) to outline your proposed doctoral research project, including the research question(s) you intend to address.
- The names of one or two SLaLS faculty members who could serve as potential supervisors.
- An explanation of how your past and proposed research would be related to the research conducted by the potential supervisor(s). You may write up to 250 words for this section.
- A list of elective courses from the 5000 level you intend to take. Click here for a list of courses.
- Three Academic References. You will be asked to provide contact information for at least three academic referees. Once payment of the application fee has been made, Carleton University will contact the referees by email and request them to submit a reference for you. These references should be from previous university professors who can comment on your past academic work and your aptitude for success in our program. The more specific the referees are in describing your academic performance the easier it will be for us to make a well-informed decision. If you are unable to identify three academic referees, it is permissible (though less desirable) to substitute ONE professional referee who can attest to your professional abilities.
- Transcripts of your previous undergraduate and graduate grades, along with confirmations of the conferred degrees and translations, if necessary. You will be able to upload your transcripts in the application system. If you are accepted into the program, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Language Proficiency. It is important that you realize that your English has to be strong enough in practice to undertake a demanding program that requires extensive academic reading and writing as well as active participation in seminar discussions and oral presentations. Applicants will be required to confirm their English language proficiency using the Confirmation of Language Proficiency form or they will be required to provide an English language proficiency test score. More information.
- Your C.V. or resume. You will be able to upload this into the application system.
- A sample of an academic paper you have written (in English) that you are particularly proud of and which you think represents your interests and abilities well.
- International Applicants. If you have received an Offer of Admission, you will be required to submit a Course-by-Course evaluation (WES ICAP) from World Education Services (WES Canada). You will be notified at that time, if this is the case. More information.
For further information about applying for graduate studies at Carleton University, please go to the website of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs.