The EDC is pleased to announce the five outstanding Teaching Assistants (TAs) who have been named recipients of the 2017-2018 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award. The awards celebrate the support TAs give to the undergraduate programs in their disciplines, their roles in establishing a positive learning environment, and their work in implementing innovative teaching practices.
There were more than 230 TAs nominated — the highest number in the history of the program — and many had strong supporting evidence, which made for a very difficult selection process. The awards committee was impressed with the strength and versatility of the nominations as well as Carleton TAs’ dedication to enhancing student learning. After much deliberation, the following five TAs were selected as this year’s recipients of the award:
- Parham Emami (Department of Political Science)
- William Hipson (Department of Psychology)
- Monirosharieh Vameghestahbanati (Department of Systems and Computer Engineering)
- Tristian Marsman (Department of English)
- Betsaleel Joseph (Sprott School of Business)
Each will be awarded a certificate at a private luncheon on May 16 as well as $250 for their commitment to improving student learning. Their names will also be added to the Outstanding Teaching Assistants Award plaque that hangs on the EDC’s walls.
Because we received so many strong nominations, the committee also wanted to recognize and celebrate four additional TAs through honourable mentions. Each will receive an official letter from Dr. Mighty that recognizes their achievement. The following TAs were selected as honourable mentions for the award:
- Janna Klostermann (Department of Sociology and Anthropology)
- Sharman Piper (School for Studies in Arts and Culture)
- Anastassia Gharib (Department of Systems and Computer Engineering)
- Alberto Temprano (Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism)
- Joseph Botros (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering)
Congratulations to all recipients, honourable mentions, and nominees for the 2017-2018 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Awards and Departmental TA Awards, and thank you to the more than 450 students, peers, and instructors who took the time to recognize the fine work of Carleton’s TAs!