GINS 3300 French and Swiss Alps 2020
Radical Embodiment in the Swiss and French Alps, 1816-1916 (Online only)
Course Instructor: Dr. Marsha Barsky
Course Description: In this course, we will travel through virtual spaces in France, Switzerland and Italy to encounter artists, dancers, writers and philosophers who sought to discover and release their creative potential in the sublime regions of the Alps. Students will be introduced to seminal figures who contemplated, researched, wrote, danced, foraged, explored movement practices and wrote groundbreaking works. Literature, poetry, performance practices are examined in the context of embodiment, social change and political upheaval in a rapidly changing ‘modern’ world.
If you would like to connect with Dr. Barsky regarding the course, please feel free to reach out to her via e-mail.
- Both Bachelor and Masters students are welcome to apply.
- BGInS students will be given priority if the course is over-subscribed.
- Course segment at Carleton University: May 4-6, 2020 (mandatory for all students).
- Course segment in France and Switzerland May 11-25, 2020 (mandatory for all students).
- May 10, travel to Geneva
- May 11-15, Chamonix, France
- May 15-20, Ascona, Switzerland
- May 20-23, Mürren, Switzerland
- May 23-25, Zurich, Switzerland
- Submission final assignment and official end of the course: May 29, 2020 (assignment to be submitted).
Deadline to Apply: Dec 10, 2019
Cost: Carleton course tuition plus $2800 travel supplemental fee (includes lectures, accommodation, ground transportation while in France and Switzerland).
- The deposit of $500 is due by 4:30pm on Monday February 24th. The remaining amount of $2300 will be due by 4:30pm on Tuesday March 24th.
- Please hand deliver deposits and payments to the main BGInS office in 2404R Richcraft Hall.
- Deposits and payments can be made with a cheque, money order or bank draft made out to Carleton University, please include your student number on the memo line. We are not able to accept cash.
Please note: International airfare, meals and personal expenses are not included.
BGInS students should apply for the IER Bursary