A Letter of Permission (LOP) allows students to complete a course(s) at an accredited international university with which Carleton does not have a pre-arranged exchange agreement. A student may use credits earned at an international university to fulfill requirements of a Carleton degree only if they have received prior approval in the form of a Letter of Permission (LOP) from the Registrar’s Office. Courses may be completed in any academic term, however there are different application deadlines relevant to each term (see below). *Tuition fees are paid to the host university and not Carleton.
Academic Eligibility for BGInS Students
- Must be in Good Standing in the BGInS program
- Must present a minimum overall CGPA of 5.0 and a Major CGPA of 6.5 (Major CGPA includes GINS courses + specialization courses)
- Must meet Carleton residency requirements, please consult with the Registrar’s Office for full details
- The proposed course(s) for the Letter of Permission must be acceptable to your program. For example, students will not receive approval for a first year course if they have already completed the maximum number of 1000 level courses
- Course(s) completed while on a LOP must be within a discipline offered at Carleton, and courses which have been successfully completed may not be repeated on a Letter of Permission
Applications are submitted online via Carleton Central under Student Online Applications in the Main Menu. Click Letter of Permission Applications to begin.
Important Annual Dates:
*Please be advised that based on the evolving situation with COVID-19 the Registrar’s Office has further delayed the opening date for Fall and Winter Letters of Permission Applications to May 1, and we will reassess at that time.
November 1: Application deadline for Winter term LOP
March 1: Application deadline for Summer term LOP
July 1: Application deadline for Fall term LOP
Note: Many institutions will ask that you submit an application for “visiting student status” and will provide you with the appropriate dates for course registration.
Students taking courses on an international Letter of Permission must complete the Carleton travel registry and the applicable forms and documents for Letter of Permission.
Note: Only students who have received written confirmation that they can do an international Letter of Permission should submit these forms.