What is an International Exchange?

This option allows students to pursue the equivalent of full-time study at one of Carleton’s partner universities overseas. Students pay tuition to Carleton while on exchange and can transfer credits toward their Carleton degree. This option is administered by the International Student Services Office (ISSO). You may go on exchange in either the Fall or Winter term, or both, though for BGInS students the Winter term is normally preferred.

Exchange Considerations Academic Requirements Transfer Students Financial Considerations
Term: Fall, Winter, Fall and Winter

Duration: One or two terms (12 or 24 weeks)

Status: Students must be full-time at the undergraduate level with minimum 3rd year standing (2nd year or higher at time of application).

May not be possible to go on exchange within the normal 20 credits of the Honours degree. Tuition: For the term that you study abroad, you will pay your tuition to Carleton
Group vs Individual: Individual

Travel planning: By you

Year Standing: Students must have completed at least 4.0 credits at Carleton at the time of application.  Note: Students must have enough credits remaining to study full-time at a partner institution.

Cost: High (>$5,000) You will be responsible for travel, accommodation and living expenses
Work vs Academic: Academic

Destinations: Worldwide, must be outside of Canada

CGPA: Students are required to have a minimum overall CGPA of 7.0 (no exceptions).

How to Obtain Course Credit for International Exchange

  • Students will gain credit from the foreign university to be used as credits toward your Carleton degree.
  • A database on course equivalencies with international institutions can be found on the Registrar’s Office website. The database is meant as a guideline only, and students should read the disclaimer for outgoing international exchanges.
  • In addition to consulting the database, students are encouraged to research course offerings at their preferred institutions, as there are procedures in place to have courses not listed in the database assessed for potential Carleton equivalencies.

Application Procedure for International Exchange

1) Visit the ISSO website for complete application instructions after attending a mandatory Exchange Information Session.

2) Schedule an advising meeting with the BGInS Exchange Coordinator.

3) Thoroughly research your host institution/country of choice. Review the ISSO’s list of partner institutions in order to be able to rank your top three choices on your application. Ensure that your preferred institutions are open to BGInS students.

4) Visit the International Exchange Course Equivalencies database to gain knowledge on how your desired courses may transfer back to your Carleton degree. Please note that the database is to be used as a guideline only as part of the research process.

5) Apply for your exchange online on Carleton Central.

6) If you are successfully nominated to a partner institution for exchange, you will be responsible for tracking and submitting any applications, course selections, etc. as required by your host institution by their set deadlines.

Please note that the start and end dates at a partner institution may not match with Carleton’s calendar.  It is the student’s responsibility to research the exchange term dates.

Dates and Deadlines for 2019-2020

September 17 to  December 3, 2019: Attend one mandatory Exchange Information Session. Following the attendance of one of these sessions, students will need to set up an advising appointment with the BGInS Exchange Coordinator.

October 2, 2019 – Attend the Exchange and Study Abroad Fair.

October 7, 2019 – Applications for the International Exchange open.

December 4, 2019 – Applications for the International Exchange close at 4:00PM. No late applications will be accepted.

April 2019 – Pre-Departure Information Sessions take place; attendance is mandatory.

Fall 2020 and/or Winter 2021 – Students are overseas on exchange

Required Documentation

Students going on international exchange must complete the Carleton travel registry and the applicable forms and documents for international exchange.

Note: Only students who have received written confirmation that they have been accepted into the exchange option should submit these forms..