Bachelor of Social Work Admission Information
The application system for Fall 2022 is now closed. The next opportunity to apply to the Bachelor of Social Work will be for possible admission in September 2023. Interested applicants must submit all application components by March 1, 2023.
BSW Applicant Evaluation Criteria
- All applicants should have a minimum average of 75% overall whether applying from high school, college, or university (Carleton included)
- Amount and quality of human service/social change work or volunteer experience
- Essay question responses
- All applicants must also meet Carleton University’s minimum admission requirements. Please visit the Undergraduate Admissions website to review these requirements.
- While a police records check is not requested as part of the application to the program, it may be required for current BSW students on Practicum. Check our policy for more information on the School’s police record check;
- Students must complete two placements in order to meet degree requirements for the BSW (some students may receive transfer credit for the first of these placements, depending on completed education). Most placement opportunities are unpaid. For more detail on current practicum policies, please visit the BSW Practicum Hub;
- Please review the Essential Requirements for the Bachelor of Social Work.
Application Deadline & Components
Application Deadline: March 1, 2023
All application materials must be submitted by this date to be considered for admission to the program.
Current or previous Carleton University students (in any program) must apply online through the Internal Application for Admission in Carleton Central.
All other applicants must apply online through the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC).
Please navigate to your specific educational background on the Social Work Admissions website to receive instructions on how to apply.
It is important to note that your online application may take a few business days to process before you receive your Carleton ID number and are able to upload your supplementary documents. We recommend submitting your online application well in advance of the application deadline.
Once an applicant has submitted their completed online application, they will receive an email with their Carleton applicant number and instructions to complete the Supplementary Application. Please follow the included instructions for completing the Supplementary Application.
All applicants must upload their completed Supplementary Application and CV to Carleton360 by end of day on March 1, 2023. Only one Supplementary Application submission per applicant will be accepted; if more than one Supplementary Application is uploaded, only the first upload will be considered by the Admissions Committee.
References must be submitted directly from the referee to BSWapplication@carleton.ca by end of day on March 1, 2023. Reference submissions should include the applicant’s name and applicant number in the email subject line.
If you experience any barriers to completing or submitting your Supplementary Application, please contact the Undergraduate Administrator at GabrielleCrete@cunet.carleton.ca.
All applicants must complete both the online application and the Supplementary Application in order to be considered for admission. The updated Supplementary Application for 2023 will be posted to this website in Fall 2022.
Prospective BSW Student Presentations
For more information on up-to-date program contacts and the application process, please view the linked slides from the School’s Fall Open House presentation in November 2021.
You are able to track your application status in Carleton360. Questions about transcripts should be directed to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admission decisions typically begin to appear in late April, however timing may vary from year to year.
All admission decisions are final. The School of Social Work does not have an appeal process for unsuccessful applicants, however we do encourage all interested applicants to apply again the next year.
Year of Entry
Each year, we admit students into the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years of our program, depending on what, if any, transfer credit(s) are awarded from applicants’ previous post-secondary studies. Information on suggested course sequencing by year of entry can be found on our Current Students page.