Placement in Canada – Necessary Documents

Travel Registry

All students going on Placement must complete the Travel Registry on Carleton Central. The steps for Placement in Canada are as follows:

  • Log into Carleton Central
  • Select Travel Registry under the Personal Information tab in the Main Menu
  • Once in the Travel Registry function, select Add Travel Record
  • In the Travel Information portion, enter in the start and end dates of your placement
  • In the Reason for my travel drop-down menu, select BGInS IER
  • The six IER options will then appear in a new drop-down menu; select International Placement
  • Enter the remaining information in the Travel Contact Information (in this case, your employer’s information in Canada)
  • Click submit once all information is entered

Required Documentation

Once students have submitted their information in the Travel Registry, they are then able to upload required supporting documentation. Students will not be permitted to begin their placement without complete and accurate submission of required documentation. It is not possible to upload the documentation prior to completing the Travel Registry. You will be redirected to the document upload page once you have submitted your travel record. All documents have to be in PDF format, and no larger than 2MB in size.

  • Step 1: For each document, select the type, select the file from the source on your device and then upload the document
  • Step 2: You will be able to review the documents for completion and accuracy before finalizing them to the Document Management System

All students participating in a placement within Canada must fill out and complete the forms listed below.

  1. Consent to Publish
  2. Student Contract: Placement in Canada
  3. Unpaid Placement: Letter to Placement
  4. Unpaid Placement: Student Declaration

Additional forms required for GINS 3900 or GINS 3901

All students participating in a placement in Canada must register in an appropriate Carleton course during the term they are on placement.  For most BGInS students, this will normally be GINS 3900 (0.5 credits) or GINS 3901 (1.0 credits).

Students registered in GINS 3900 or GINS 3901 must consult with Prof. Marylynn Steckley, about the academic content of their placement.  The grade for their placement course will be assessed by Prof. Steckley.  Part of this grade will be based on the workplace supervisor’s assessment of the student’s performance on the job.  This assessment must be completed by the supervisor at the end of the placement, using the Employer Assessment Form above.