Internships Outside of Canada Documents

Travel Registry

All students going abroad must complete the Travel Registry on Carleton Central before travelling abroad. The steps are as follows:

  • Log into Carleton Central
  • Select Travel Registry under the Personal Information tab in the Main Menu
  • Once in the Travel Registry function, select Add Travel Record
  • In the Travel Information portion, enter in your departure and arrival dates
  • In the Reason for my travel drop-down menu, select BGInS IER
  • The six IER options will then appear in a new drop-down menu; select your chosen option
  • Enter the remaining information in the Travel Contact Information
  • Click submit once all information is entered

Required Documentation

Once students have submitted their information in the Travel Registry, they are then able to upload required supporting documentation. Students will not be permitted to travel without complete and accurate submission of required documentation. It is not possible to upload the documentation prior to completing the Travel Registry. You will be redirected to the document upload page once you have submitted your travel record. All documents have to be in PDF format, and no larger than 2MB in size.

  • Step 1: For each document, select the type, select the file from the source on your device and then upload the document
  • Step 2: You will be able to review the documents for completion and accuracy before finalizing them to the Document Management System

All students participating in a placement outside Canada must fill out and complete the forms listed below.

  1. Consent to Publish
  2. Health Form
  3. Informed Consent
  4. Passport and Visa Form
  5. Proof of Insurance Form
  6. Placement Contract: Placement Outside Canada
  7. Unpaid Placement: Employer Form
  8. Unpaid Placement: Student Declaration
  9. International Experience Bursary

Additional forms required for GINS 3900 or GINS 3901

All students participating in a placement outside Canada must register in an appropriate Carleton course during the term they are on placement.  For most BGInS students, this will normally be GINS 3900 (0.5 credits) or GINS 3901 (1.0 credits).  BGInS students in the Global Politics Specialization may also register in GPOL 3100, Internship in Global Politics, while students doing a placement in Africa may also register in AFRI 3900, Placement. Students registered in  AFRI 3900 should consult the units offering these courses for information about how the course grade will be assigned.

Students registered in GINS 3900 or GINS 3901 must consult with Prof. Marylynn Steckley regarding the academic content of their placement.  The grade for their placement course will be assessed by the Instructor. Part of this grade will be based on the workplace supervisor’s assessment of the student’s performance on the job.  This assessment must be completed by the supervisor at the end of the placement, using the Employer Assessment Form below.