1. Accountability – Carleton University “Parking Services” is accountable for the personal information in its possession or control, including information that has been transferred to a third party for processing. Parking Services makes certain that collection, use and disclosure of personal information is in accordance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”).
2. How we use your Information – Parking Services collects and uses Personal Information about you to:
- identify you,
- protect you and ourselves against error and fraud,
- comply with legal requirements,
- process payments for services provided
- for internal auditing and tracking purposes
- provide notification and respond to urgent service concerns (i.e.: lights left on, lot hazards, etc.),
- send notifications and reminders about outstanding accounts before forwarding charges to collections agencies, and
- support law enforcement activities on campus.
Parking Services will not collect, use or disclose information beyond that required to fulfill the specified purposes. When personal information that has been collected is to be used for a purpose not previously identified, the new purpose will be identified to you prior to its use.
3. Consent – We will only collect, use or disclose your Personal Information with your consent, except where otherwise permitted or required by law. You may refuse or withdraw your consent by contacting Parking Services at (613)520-2600, ext. 3623 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Assistant Director will explain your options and any consequences of refusing or withdrawing consent, and will record your choices.
4. Limited Collection – We will limit the collection of your Personal Information to only those details which are necessary for the purposes identified.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention – Personal Information will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which it was collected, unless you have otherwise consented or when it is permitted by law. Parking Services does not sell, trade, or disclose information to third parties unless required to support law enforcement investigations.
6. Accuracy – Parking Services strives to keep your personal information as accurate and current as possible. To help us keep your personal information up to date, we encourage you to update your ParkAdmin profile or to notify us of inaccuracies or corrections.
7. Safeguards – Parking Services will maintain strict security systems to safeguard your personal information whether in electronic or hard copy format for the duration of time that your personal information is in our possession to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar risks.
When we no longer need your personal information, it will be disposed of in a secure means compliant with our internal information management policies and PIPEDA.
8. Openness – Parking Services will make available specific information about its policies and practices concerning the management of personal information. You may contact the Assistant Director, as noted above in “3. Consent” with any questions or concerns regarding compliance with this policy.
9. Individual Users – You have the right to access your personal information that Parking Services has under its’ control.
Access requests should be made in writing to the Carleton University Privacy Office. In certain situations we may not be able to provide access to information. For example, where it would reveal personal information about another individual, or in the case where information cannot be disclosed for legal or security reasons.
10. Individual Concerns – We will investigate any complaints. If a complaint is found to be justified, Parking Services will take appropriate action to resolve the complaint. The results of the investigation will be sent in writing to the individual who made the complaint.
Individuals may direct any questions or enquiries with respect to the privacy principles outlined above or about our practices by contacting:
607 Robertson Hall
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON Canada K1S 5B6
Tel: 1 613 520 2600 ext. 2047
Fax: 1 613 520-2391