Rental E-scooters at Carleton
Carleton has partnered with Bird Canada to bring e-scooters to our campus and test the viability of the e-scooters as a means for traveling to and from our campus. The Bird e-scooters will not be permitted for riding on the main campus but are permitted to ride to the edge of our campus and to two nests (parking sites) for convenience.
E-Scooters can help to reduce single rider automobile use and encourage healthy lifestyles by providing a new transportation option to access our campus.
Renting a scooter is a fun and convenient way to travel short distances. Here are some things to know before you hop on:
- Download the Bird App to find the closest available scooter.
- A centralized no-riding zone has been established on campus; the motor in your scooter will automatically stop once you enter the zone (see map).
- Bird scooters have a speed limit of 20 km/h.
- Park with care. After your ride, use the kickstand and park it in a designated “Bird Nest” on campus. If not parked properly, the user may be charged.
- Helmets are encouraged.
- E-scooters will cost $1.15 to unlock and 42 cents per minute to ride. ($2.50 minimum, plus tax)
- Birds are not cleaned or disinfected between customers. We recommend each rider use a pre-moistened disinfectant wipe before their ride. We strongly recommend each rider wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after using the equipment.
For more information about the scooter program, in Ottawa visit the City of Ottawa Page or Bird Canada.
Carleton University has a policy regarding bikes, e-bikes, rollerblading, scooters and skateboards on campus.