Rental E-scooters at Carleton
Carleton has partnered with Bird Canada to bring e-scooters to our campus and test the viability of the e-scooters as a means for traveling to and from our campus. The Bird e-scooters will not be permitted for riding on the main campus but are permitted to ride to the edge of our campus and to two nests (parking sites) for convenience.
E-Scooters can help to reduce single rider automobile use and encourage healthy lifestyles by providing a new transportation option to access our campus.
Renting a scooter is a fun and convenient way to travel short distances. Here are some things to know before you hop on:
- Download the Bird App to find the closest available scooter.
- A centralized no-riding zone has been established on campus; the motor in your scooter will automatically stop once you enter the zone (see map).
- Bird scooters have a speed limit of 20 km/h.
- Park with care. After your ride, use the kickstand and park it in a designated “Bird Nest” on campus. If not parked properly, the user may be charged.
- Helmets are encouraged.
- E-scooters will cost $1.15 to unlock and 42 cents per minute to ride. ($2.50 minimum, plus tax)
- Birds are not cleaned or disinfected between customers. We recommend each rider use a pre-moistened disinfectant wipe before their ride. We strongly recommend each rider wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after using the equipment.
Carleton University has a policy regarding bikes, e-bikes, rollerblading, scooters and skateboards on campus.