- Consultations and In-Class Support for Instructors
- Booking a Suite
- Booking Portable Recording Equipment
- General Contact and Hours of Operation
Enhance your course with diverse media learning materials, produce a media assignment, such as an audio podcast or a video, or book for your other media creation needs.
Located in 626 Southam Hall, The Media Commons offers do-it-yourself media production:
- Soundproof, ergonomically friendly multimedia creation suites
- Top of the line 24” M1 iMacs
- Four audio podcasting suites with two high-quality Shure microphones with dual-track recording capabilities; five remaining suites feature a Blue Yeti microphone
- Software for video editing, screen recording, audio recording and editing (Final Cut Pro X, iMovie, Garageband, Audacity and Camtasia)
- DIY suites with orientations available from media technicians during opening hours (9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday; support not available from noon to 1 p.m. lunch break)
Note: Removable storage devices are not available. It is your responsibility to bring a removable storage device, thumb drive or portable hard drive to save projects and files. All Carleton students and staff also have access to their own OneDrive storage.
Interested in improving the quality of your video recordings or looking to learn the basics of smartphone videography/filmmaking? Check out our Media Commons tutorials for tips and walkthroughs of video editing software, wireless GO mics, lighting and more.
Consultations and In-Class Support for Instructors
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about in-class support including orientation/practice sessions and workshops. Professional development workshops are available via our events page.
Booking a Suite
Priority is given to student media production for course assignments, and other instructional purposes, on a first-come-first-served basis.
Booking Portable Recording Equipment
Looking to borrow media production equipment? Complete the form below and staff will be in touch shortly to confirm availability. Equipment will be available for pickup in Loeb D299 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday.
General Contact and Hours of Operation
Main Office Location: 626 Southam Hall
Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday