Senate met on February 24, 2023. Here are the highlights:
Winter 2023 Graduation List
Senate approved the graduation of 1,350 Carleton students. This first of three graduation lists of the class of 2023 included 879 undergraduate students and 471 graduate students. Congratulations to all graduates!
Senate Elected Representatives to the Provost Search Committee
In accordance with the appointment guidelines of the Board of Governors, an Advisory Committee has been established towards the selection of Carleton’s new Provost and Vice-President (Academic). Senate has elected the following representatives to serve on this important committee:
- Onita Basu (Professor), Faculty of Engineering and Design
- Véronic Bézaire (Instructor), Science
- Mira Gillis, Undergraduate Student
- Kahente Horn-Miller (Associate Professor), FASS
- Jonathan Malloy (Professor), Faculty of Public Affairs
- Pat Moore, Librarian
- Howard Nemiroff (Associate Dean), Sprott
- Chelsie Smith, Graduate Student
Please visit the University Secretariat website for a complete list of all members, timeline and more information.
Consultation: Carleton Academic Plan (Draft)
Senate received a presentation on Carleton’s draft Academic Plan. This important plan aims to operationalize academic and research aspects of Carleton’s Strategic Integrated Plan and other important strategies – such as the Kinàmàgawin Indigenous Strategy, the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Action Plan – that constitute Carleton’s roadmap to shaping the future.
With the support of Senate, next steps include a Carleton-community-wide consultation on the draft which will be available online until March 13, 2023. A final version of the Academic Plan will be presented to Senate at a future meeting.
Senate approves 12 Major Modifications
Senate approved 12 undergraduate and graduate major modifications, including the following:
- New Collaborative Specialization in African Studies to the PhD in Sociology, International Affairs, and Anthropology
- New Stream in Supply Chain Management
- New Concentrations in Canadian Politics and Public Policy; International Relations and World Politics; and Power and Political Ideas to the undergraduate programs in Political Science
- New Collaborative Specialization in Latin American and Caribbean Studies to the MA in Legal Studies
All changes were approved as presented with effect for Fall 2023.
Quality Assurance & Cyclical Reviews
Senate approved the Final Assessment Reports and Executive Summaries arising from the Cyclical Reviews of the undergraduate and graduate program in Architecture as well as the joint Graduate programs in Mathematics and Statistics.
Senator Spotlight: Beth MacLeod
Beth MacLeod is an Assistant Professor in the School of Linguistics and Language Studies at Carleton University. Her research broadly encompasses the production and perception of phonetic variation in speech and falls into the main categories of Phonetic imitation, sociophonetics, and second language acquisition. Learn more about Beth
Next Meeting: March 31, 2023
The next Senate meeting is scheduled for March 31, 2023 at 2 PM. The full meeting schedule, associated meeting materials and minutes are available on the Senate website. Meeting minutes are posted once they are approved at the subsequent meeting.